Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Knives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaywalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Advice on Knives Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a nice line of kitchen knives for food preparation and would like some suggestions. I'll need the following to start with, and the ability to expand it later:

- 7" - 8" chef knife
- bread knife
- 5" - 6" utility knife
- 3-1/2" paring knife
- steak knives
- something to cut frozen chicken

I bought my son a set of Henkels Classic for his birthday - he has plenty of time to improve on that, but I want something a bit better. The Wusthof Classic line looks okay in price and design, but then it occurred to me to ask for opinions. What's a best deal in that price line?

I'd like the kitchen knives to match, and the steak knives, too, if possible, but I can stand separate steak knives if necessary.

Jaywalker
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Knives Reply with quote

For the steak knives, go to Costco or BJ's and get one of the lightly scalloped-NOT serrated and NOT smooth edge, eight knife sets for about $30 plus or minus. At that price, you owe it to yourself to try it, and if you don't like it, you didn't lose much. They will cut well and when they don't, throw it out and get another. I see no point in buying very fine steak knives for $50-60 EACH and then cutting steak on a glass plate and ruining the edge causing the blade to require sharpening with every meal. Besides, I'm the only one at my table that would even appreciate the fine cutting of the $50 knife sharpened for every use, so that kind of knife is not worth it to me. A scalloped blade will cut well, remain sharp and not tear the meat or have a rough sensation cutting though it like a serrated blade will.

As far as the 8" chef, 6" utility, 8" scalloped bread knife and 3-4" paring knives are concerned, find one of the better brands that feel comfortable in your hands. I like the Wusthoff Classic and Henckels Professional lines. They are made very well, are comfortable and will last a lifetime. Sure, there are companies that have chef knives and slicers that are $300-500, and they are great, but you can't let anyone but yourself use those. Anyone else will ruin them for you and they won't appreciate them for the fine instruments that they are, anyway. You have probably read the threads here where people rant about German vs Japanese knives, their blades, handles, etc. Get a sharpening steel and use it for a few strokes every time to every few times you use your knives, and they will remain sharp forever and will never need professional sharpening. EVERY new knife needs to be tweaked and the sharpest knife, new out of the box is irrelevant because you still need to maintain it with a steel, and you can almost always make it sharper yourself than it comes from the manufacturer. Unless you wear a size 5 glove, stay away from Global knives. I think their handles are horrible. They are too small, badly shaped and hard to hold.

I never cut frozen chicken, so I can't make any suggestions here. Maybe a ginzu knife!?!?!?! Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit the concept of a disposable steak knife never occurred to me, though it should. OUr current steak knives are double-bevel, scalloped full-tang knives that I got as a prize for test driving a new 1988 Nissan Pathfinder. There's certainly merit in the advice, I know, as the alternative is having family and guests "make small changes in human nature" - cut steak at an angle, rather than square to the plate.. (Yes, I had thought of that, but hadn't considered an alternative to it.)
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum on the steak knives: the cheapos will last a lot longer than you think. They are definitely worth a try and probably better than you would expect.
Jaywalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 years, so far.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't a fraction of that long enough for 30 bucks? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum