Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pie Crust trick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Pie Crust trick Reply with quote

How to slowly add water when making a pie crust:

KitchenBarbarian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but ... WHY?

That's an awful lot of bother (and a waste of a product made from a non-renewable resource) for something that is easily accomplished using a tablespoon measure and a bowl of ice water ...
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your apology is accepted.

I will now answer your plaintive query, "Why?"
Because dribbling the water in slowly as possible makes for a better crust because each and every drop and dribble creates its own starch and fat globule. The more of those, the merrier.
Do you disagree? Let's then get on to the bigger question:

I view the Earth as a Natural Resouce for the benefit of mankind, and that includes up to and including mining oil wells for the production of plastic bags.

I view Homo sapiens as the top predator on this planet. According to the ethics of Darwinian Evolution we are an outstanding success, and who can argue with reproduction?

By your logic, we, Homo sapiens, are a nasty pest on the planet, veritable bedbugs which should be exterminated by the likes of Earth-loving Humans like you.

Let's cut to the point, shall we? You'd like to forget Prometheus ever existed, have mankind do without fire, without plastic bags or oil wells, or iPads.

I have a whole continent just waiting for you: it's called Africa. There you can root for grubs without worrying about your CO2 footprint, once you've burned down Johannesburg, et al.

Go West, young man: it's all yours.

Jim

"How to slowly add water when making a pie crust"
TutorCare

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like this has more to do than just a plastic bag? think the idea itself isnt a bad one to be fair, and if its being re used for a different pie how is it a waste?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum