Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

removing smells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disneymom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: removing smells Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to remove the smell of spicey sauce from the lid of a jar? I just put them in the dishwasher and the jar is fine, but the lid still smells like the cajun sauce that was in it. The lid is metal and the soft "ring" on the inside is what still has the smell. I thought about soaking it in vinegar, but then figured it would smell like vinegar afterward. TIA!
Leonessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: jar lids Reply with quote

Lids with those smells don't lose the odor because the gasket is saturated...I recycle the things in the trash. If you're doing home canning you're going to need new lids anyhow to be sure of a good vacuum seal and if you're using them for storage only use the mayo jars or the jam jars...they're easier to clean anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acetone.

hold under a vacuum for a time.... you need to create an environment where the the vapor pressure just outside that gasket, is lower than the vapor pressure of the smelly stuff. Ie, speed up the evaporatiion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum