Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New House - New Kitchen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srhcb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: New House - New Kitchen Reply with quote

Last month I moved into a new (old) house. Since I began cooking when I moved into my previous house twenty years ago, that was the only kitchen I'd ever worked in. Aside from the normal fuss and bother that come with moving, my new kitchen has presented a number of problems.

I immediately discovered that despite the fact my new kitchen is larger than the one I left, the butcher block top center island, where I did virtually all my prep work, just doesn't fit the floor plan, so it temporarily resides in the dining room disguised as a buffet/sideboard.

Next, there is a storage problem. Although there's plenty of cupboard space, I've concluded that my current home must have been inhabited by giants, since all but the bottom of the upper cabinets are too high to reach from the floor; and at 5'11" I'm not short. There is also a good foot of extra space above the refrigerator. On the upside there are nice high ceilings.

The biggest problem was that I couldn't bring my trusty range with me. It was nothing special; just a plain GE electric, but I'd mastered all it's tricks and foibles, and the oven produced thousands of loaves of bread and countless desserts over the years.

But, although it was still in perfect working conditiion, the color was all wrong. Remodeling the entire kitchen in greens to accomodate the stove was ruled out, so I decided to keep the Tappen range the giants left behind. (I did give my old GE to a guy who helped us move, so at least I know it went to a good home.)

I must admit the Tappen's burners heat more quickly than my old GE's, and the oven has performed well so far for roasting. I've kept my baking stone on the lower rack and monitered the temperature carefully, but still haven't given it the big test .... so,

I'm going to bake bread, but just to be safe, I'll going to start with a quick bread; my trusty banana w/chocolate covered raisins bread.

*** knock on wood ***
SomeBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new kitchen ... I wish I can renovate mine very soon. Smile
Can you take some photos of it?Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum