Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on Choc Chip Cookie Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scraper1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Choc Chip Cookie Article Reply with quote

Chocolate chip cookies is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I enjoyed your column.

My mom is famous for her cookies which are based on the standard recipe you mention. She has never sifted her flour and her cookies are never flat and chewy. She also substitutes Crisco for butter (and usually forgets to tell people this when they ask for her recipe). She quardruples the batch and always gets 12 dozen large cookies. My wife has been able to copy her technique with much success (my cousin is the only other person known to have accomplished this feat). My wife doubles the batch and can get 8 dozen cookies, but they are smaller than mom's.

Alton Brown did a show on this subject and discussed the various reasons and results of adjusting the type or flour, fat and so forth.

Keep up the good work and feel free to send any extra cookies my way.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of nights ago, Alton Brown had a great show on how to make three types of Chocolate chip cookies by altering a couple of key ingredients in essentially the same recipe--1) hard, thin and crisp, 2) soft and cakey and 3) soft and chewy., It was on at 2 am and I was dead tired, so I recorded it on my DVR. If no one posts on it soon, I'll have to watch the video and post his wisdom.
dodgerob79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite but I've been trying to cut back especially after the holidays. A friend had me try a Vegan chocolate chip cookie that she had made. It was surprisingly good. The primary substitutes were applesauce for eggs and vegetarian butter.
Rob
Thor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Alton Brown Recipes Reply with quote

If you haven't caught the show yet, the Food Network keeps lots of recipes on their website.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking

Search the recipes for chocolate chip cookies and sort the results by chef/show. Alton Brown's entries for The Puffy, The Thin, and The Chewy should be on the list from Good Eats episode EA1C05.

My birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I think a batch of each and a gallon of milk might be just the thing with which to celebrate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum