Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First japanese knives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
applm

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: First japanese knives Reply with quote

I am looking at buying my first set of Japanese knives and would like some advice and direction. I would like to get a versatile set that would keep me in the $300 or less range. The set I am currently looking at is a set of left handed usuba hocho, deba hocho, and sashimi hocho on EpicEdge. Does anyone know anything about these specific knives? EpicEdge says the maker is Hon Kasumi but that is the blade making process and I don't believe it is the maker.

Also, if I were to purchase this set it would be the first single bevel knives that I will have used. Are there any large disadvantages to using a single over a double bevel?

Thanks to all responses in advance.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that they're ok, but no praises. The first thing you must ask yourself is this...what are you gonna do with them?

Do you prepare raw fish on a regular basis (yanagi)? Do you need to butcher whole fish (deba)? Do you make paper thin slices of vegetables (usuba)?

All three of those knives are rather specialized. Don't expect to be using them for many other things. Check out this website for techniques using these knives. (like fish butchering and roll cutting daikon radish)

I've heard that single bevel knives want to turn towards you when you cut, which means you need to focus more. They're also more prone to chipping and can be quite reactive because of the exposed carbon steel. Being left handed also, I also found it frustrating to find single bevel knives, but I'd rather not get one thats subpar.

Whichever way you go, I wouldn't buy a set. It's better to get each knife individually and decide if you want more from the same maker.
Howard

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a Chinese cleaver (chuka bocho) instead of the usuba.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum