Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Welcome to the New Server
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR ENGINEERS ?

I have to commend your will to make a site that is both funny and interesting, but at the moment it is definitely not for engineers.

While I don't expect you to work out details of each and every ingredient like a consisten engineer would do , at least use appropriate measurement units ; what the hell is a "cup of" ? Use international measure units please.

The list of woes is long, but I don't want to discourage you too much.
Todd_repost

i find sitemeter's browser share stats interesting when you've been /.ed. looks like mozilla/firefox has much more of the market share for your site than they do globally.

I am an experienced cook, and I think these recipes are really very good, and the instructions superb. One of the things that made Julia Child so great is that she understood the concept of robustness -- what had to be precise (in measurement, timing, quality) and what could endure variation without too much alteration. I love the precision of the instructions and the layout of steps. There is great consistency in high quality thinking in all fields.
dmaduran

Just as a suggestion, you might want to incorporate the commenting engine from Haloscan (http://www.haloscan.com/), just so that avid fans can leave comments and ask advice without having to register for the Blogger service in lieu of posting anonymously.

While this would reduce bandwith usage, it'd also be a boon for people who don't like registering for services or commenting anonymously Smile

It looks like you've already moved over, but I was going to recommend site5.com for your hosting. I use it to host a website of my own. They have really great packages (including 'roll-over' bandwidth):

http://www.site5.com/shared/comparison.php

$7 a month (paid annually) gets you 50GB of traffic per month. They also have an unmetered package, but I dunno how much it runs for.

Great site and congrats on being /. -- every geek's dream :-) Nevertheless, you have a bad link for Surpass... you're forgetting the .com.

Have you considered putting out a cookbook? With your popularity so high, it could be a big deal! I have a bunch of engineers in my family, and almost all of our friends are engineers. I can guarantee that if you publish a book by Christmas, I'll buy at least 10 copies for gifts.

My engineer husband once made Hamburger Helper (the cheesy potato flavor). I came into the kitchen and it was smoking - black smoke! I said, "Honey, you need to turn it off!" He said, "But the directions say to cook it for 14 minutes!" I said, "There's an implied direction of 'unless it's on fire' in there!" Anyway, I'm sure that he could whip up wonderful meals with your cookbook!!

I agree with your choice for Surpass hosting, they are very cheap, I used to do tech support for them last year... The only problem with them is that some servers go out of whack and stay that way, so if you start having problems, ask to be moved.

Great site by the way.

Time to get a publisher and write a cookbook? I donated, and hope the site stays alive.
nodac

wish we got half your traffic

"The only problem with them is that some servers go out of whack and stay that way, so if you start having problems, ask to be moved."

Hmm doesn't sound right to me. Smile Anyone can be moved if they feel they need to, but with all of our servers being phased to Dual Xeons, things are pretty quiet.

Anywho, thank you for choosing Surpass to host Cooking For Engineers. We love the site, and I smell a Site of the Week brewing and bubbling on the stove...

-Kayla from http://www.surmunity.com

(I second the idea to get HaloScan, as not everyone has a blogger account... or still has an active one anyway)

are you ever going to put all of the recipes in a separate, easily accessible, section?
Kenneth Sundby

You should start looking into another CMS for your site. A blog is not the easiest way to organize your work you know Wink

Love your site tbw.

Hi Michael, The site is nice. The recipies are very nice. The attitude/style is just right. Thanks.

I mainly wanted to echo the request that you add an XML / RSS / Atom / whatever option for your site.

Unless you're updating your site all the time you can wind up at the bottom of the bookmark list. Offering an RSS feed makes it easier to notice new posts for those of us who keep track of things with an RSS aggregator.

I'm not familiar with Blogger administration but it should boil down to a couple of clicks on the admin options page and maybe pasting a tag into your template. The Blogger software will probably handle everything else automatically.

David Innes from 8020.org (referred by Majikthise)
Michael Chu

re: RSS/atom feed

It's available at:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/atom.xm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: