Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Welcome to the New Server
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Off Topic: Welcome to the New Server Reply with quote

Article Digest:
My wife was tired of listening to my screaming (in terror and delight) and clicking reload every second to see the update to my hits. About when I hit 12,000 hits an hour, she decided that it was time to leave work and go see a movie. So, now I'm back and it looks like during this period of time the site has moved from the old DotEasy servers to the Surpass Hosting servers. So, for a period of time, everyone's been looking at slightly older version of the Cooking For Engineers site (my backup). I just setup Blogger to properly update the new server, so we should be up and running.

[IMG]

I would like to thank everyone who donated to the site during this amazing time. (I would have posted everyone's names, but I was concerned for people's privacy.)

Also thank you everyone who offered to host my site and also gave suggestions on how to reduce my bandwidth usage.

by Michael Chu
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that graph should be kept for historical reasons. A true graphical representation of the slashdot effect!

Glad you're still online
Jim Cowling

Yeah, I got some splashback on the Slashdotting, too, thanks to a comment on the story but not nearly to the degree that you did (my site is www.kitchengeek.com).

I like your site. Looks like we both had similar ideas not far apart. Great minds and all that. Wink
Erik_repost

Nice graph... although it doesn't show if you view the article permalink. The link to the image is wrong there, since you use the same relative link as on the front page. Just thought I'd let you know, now I'll go check out the rest of the site Smile
Michael Chu

Thanks Erik, I fixed the img tag reference.

Hm.. seems like the pictures for older entries are not working.

A lot of your recipes are still without pictures, peanut butter cookies comes to mind. Fix, please?
Michael Chu

Yes, I will reupload the pictures for the older articles before I go ahead and post new ones. I've been meaning to do it, but no one complained... until now. Thanks for the comments; I really appreciate them!
dave

You still have a lot of CSS in your HTML pages, you could decrease the load a lot further by putting this in an external file.
Philip

Nice work! It's rare to find a blog, outside of some politics-themed ones, that provides a public service to readers. But "Family Guy" dinners? I imagined that the show's audience were the cold pizza and beer types!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll probably move the CSS tomorrow. I'll have to put the CSS on a different site right?

I think his point was that if the CSS was broken off into a separate file, only one read of that file would be required per visitor to the site. It doesn't have to be on a separate site, just separated from the HTML so that a cached copy can be used. Something like (angle brackets removed as it won't let me post HTML):
HEAD
LINK REL=STYLESHEET HREF="style.css" TYPE="text/css"
/HEAD
Michael Chu

That's right. I wasn't thinking straight. Maybe I'll do that now.

First of all, great site! Second, I think you should add a 'print' link for each post(/recipe) will be easy to print without all the comments, side 'windows' and all that..

Again, great site!

Hi, nice site! Smile, Any chance of an xml feed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: