Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Recipe Summaries - Standards and Microsoft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your share of Firefox hits is probably high because it's a very popular choice for Slashdot users. Consequently it probably is important to fix your 'L' shaped table/cell problem. The tables render well in Opera, W3C's "reference browser" Amaya, and IE 5.5 and higher. It also looks fine in Mozilla version 1.4.1. (The text isn't always aligned vertically but tables, cells, and borders still look fine so the instructions remain clear.)

It looks predictably awful in the (text-based and almost never used) Lynx browser, it won't load properly in the (once great but now bottom-of-the-barrel) Netscape 4.x browsers.) They don't display properly in Explorer versions before 5.5 or my fairly recent version of Firefox.

The fact that it looks just fine in a fairly recent version of W3C's standards-cranky Amaya, Opera, and especially Mozilla suggests a possible problem in Firefox.

David Innes from 8020.org (referred to your site by Majikthise.)
Michael Chu

re: Firefox

I now author to Firefox first. As far as I know it is rendering properly on Firefox now that I made a few changes. At least it looks okay on my system. Smile
Ben Powell

I have been searching on how to do the same thing and had had no luck. I had also been looking at HTML behaviours to get around the li:hover issue for CSS menus in IE which led me to coming up with the following solution:

View Solution
HappySquare

Siince My iMac died, I dragged out my old 100Mhz Power Mac 8100/100AV with 33.6 dial-up. In IE 5.1 for Mac OS 9 your site is readable, and functions as expected. The download speed is comparable to other sites (a bit faster than comercial webmails) except the photos, which look fine, but must be quite a bit larger than the ones I typically see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

"GIF or PNG images can have a transparent background."

PNG may be transparent but in IE you will see gray fields under the transparent PNG Smile

But who cares about those IE users? IE does not respect standerds - we should not respect IE... and its users are guilty of making this buggy browser popular...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: