Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Recipe Summaries - Standards and Microsoft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not render with Java applets. The later versions of Java have the ability to rotate text (Java 1.2...). You could provide two versions one for IE and one for the Gecko crowd and provide different content based upon the user-agent string. Also is flash an option?

Just my $0.02

I'm not sure this has all the functionality you're looking for, but you may want to look at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ie7/
and
http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/

It's an attempt using behaviors to make IE6 more "standards" compliant with respect to CSS. He seems to have made some impressive headway.

Im curious how gifs prevent printing? And why on earth anyone would copy something from a website to a *word processor*, of all things, to print it.

I invite anyone thats still using a 'word processor' for anything to read the article at:

http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/wp.html

The summaries look fine to me (Firefox 0.9.3). Actually, I prefer the look in Firefox (all text displayed horizontally) over the look on IE (some text horizontal, some text vertical).

Awesome site, BTW. Smile

Very nice site. I am not one for fancy stuff. Since the content of the site awesome, any asthetics(sp?) are not a problem. Smile

Good Job.

Excelent site, finally a site that makes a clear picture of this cooking business.
I use mozilla 1.7.2 and most of the pages display correctly. there are only a few tables that are missing the occationall border. Great job overall.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing table elements to form L-shapes, but if you use appropriate nested divs you should be ables to force text into any L-shape of your choosing.

I presume colspan settings are insufficient for what you want...

Do you have a good example of what you want to acheive that css-hackers could have a look at?

(bevan at fulcrummicro dot com)

If you make the tables as a GIF or PNG with a transparent background, it will print on a white background (since most browsers leave out background colors when printing), and copying into a word processor will also result in a white background.

You can use "border-right: 0px;" for IE, I believe. Also, don't use cellspacing="0". Use "border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px;"

This should take care of most of the minor issues.

I don't know if I missed something about your comment, but you might try print stylesheets in CSS2. By allowing you to set different colors, fonts, *everything* differently for printning, it can make life quite easy.

An idea for vertical text that you might try is to write the text with
's after each letter. e.g.:
s
t
i
r
It's longer than you may have intended, but still readable and saves on horizontal space. For your sanity, you can also make a javascript function to insert the breaks when given a string.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an L shape space, I would place a div with a defined size and float: right. The div will take the place on the top right and the text will take what's left.

Why not use a gif with a transparent background? These would display properly in most browsers, and would display fine when pasted into word processors (most).

Food for thought (pun intended) Wink

Simon McF.

"A print stylesheet won't alter the fact that the recipe summary is a gif (with a green background)."

It certainly can. Just make some elements hidden in the print style sheet, and other elements hidden in the screen style sheet. That lets you substitute a non-gif for the printer that replaces the gif for the screen. I have a "NoScreen" class and a "NoPrint" class that I use for this. Attach the class to the right sourrounding divs, tables, or whatever and you can easily hide a group of screen-only or print-only elements as needed.

You may be intrested in this:

http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/
This allows you to add a CSS style sheet to your page that makes IE standards compliant, weather it likes it or not Smile

Thanks!

Call me a nut, but comparing the Tiramasu recipe as presented by Safari and Firefox, I prefer the way Safari renders the table. I think the L-shaped cells detract a bit from the how the recipe should be completed. Every cell that abuts a cell that covers more than row is part of the direction in the tall cell. The L-shape make's it seem like the item in that cell has some special relationship to the direction. That's not phrased very well, but my hand-waving doesn't come across well in ASCII.

Hank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: