Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Features: Ingredients Dictionary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: New Features: Ingredients Dictionary Reply with quote

Article Digest:
You may have been wondering what I did this weekend (or not)... Well, I've built a new section to the website to help the international audience (and those of us who can't tell the difference between a winter squash and a meat tenderizer [although winter squashes work pretty well as a meat mallet...]) to figure out what ingredient is what. Say hello to the Ingredients Dictionary.

I started with the priority of posting pictures of each ingredient. Later, I'll fill in the details of each ingredient with information on how to store and select them at the markets. The photos were all taken at Cosentino's Market in Santa Clara, CA where the staff was exceedingly nice and the produce fresh and pretty. I spent a couple hours there rearranging produce, chatting with the grocers, and snapping away. It's probably going to take many, many trips to get pictures of most of the common ingredients. Well, I better go take some more pictures...

<a href="/ingredients/" style="font-size:120%">Go to the Ingredients Dictionary

by Michael Chu
bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back in the kichen!
The Chunky Girl

I commend you for taking on this project! I'll bet everyone will get a lot of use out of it!

Just a warning.

don't ask people to click on your ads. Google will ban you and freeze your account.
A

Thank you, this ingredients dictionary is very nifty! Often, in this part of the world, one needs to find substitutes.
Lotus

Wow! I have had alot of stuffed peppers in my life, but the avacado pork stuffed peppers are amazing! Thanks for the recipe, and keep it up! With recipes like these you could make your own cook book.
Thanks!

Hm.. I think that preloading all images when going to this site is a bad idea - it will quickly drain your available upload.
rolandog

Wow! Here in Mexico we call "Limón" (Lemon) your Limes... I'm gonna post about it on my blog!
Alredhead

That's too cool!

Hey there... I really love the site. But, being a newbie, I don't really understand how to read/decipher the recipes. Or maybe that's just because I'm not an engineer... lol.

So, could Michael or someone else explain it to me? thanks... J.

I like the photos... your aperture setting gives it a nice artsy feel. What kind of camera are you using?

The recipies are very simple to read. You're probably making it to complex. The ingredients are listed on the left side. To their right are sets of brackets. Notice how ingredients are bracketed in. The action listed in the bracket are what you do to the ingredients. Move left. Each step will bracket in more ingredients. These are the stages at which things are added.

Michael: I tried to look at your ingredient list... but I'm using Firefox and it doesn't appear to work with the browser. :\ Just thought you might wanna know. I may just need to reopen the browser. But I'd check on this if I were you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

Those are limes are Key Limes. As long as your catagorising eggplants and potatos you should do it with limes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: