Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dish us your favorite fish dish!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finandfeather

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Dish us your favorite fish dish! Reply with quote

ok.

lets hear it, you love seafood-- the texture, the lightness, the taste.

what is your favorite fish dish?

i'll start first:
Loster Salad Roll
(yum)

this one is fresh, crisp, and light-- i love the addition of celery (well, because i love celery), while the spices really kick it up a notch.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lobsters, about 1 1/4 pounds each, or about 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked lobster
1/2 cup diced celery
4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash Creole or Cajun seasoning, optional
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 to 4 split toasted buns
PREPARATION:
Have your grocer steam the lobsters or follow directions for Boiled Lobster.
Combine coarsely chopped lobster with remaining ingredients. Arrange lettuce in the buns then add lobster mixture.

Serves 2 to 3.

so what is your favorite dish fish?
SirSpice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Lobster sandwich looks delicious but it's not really a fish. If we're talking about seafood too than I'd have to vote hands down for fried calamari.
opqdan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my favorite fish dishes involve salmon because my wife isn't a huge seafood fan. If I had my way, I would make paella all the time, but alas, mussels are out of the question (as are halibut cheeks and sometimes scallops).

I don't use any real recipes for my salmon dishes, just generalizations.

1: Salmon with honey thyme crust.
Simply toss the salmon onto a broiler pan, and broil until just a few minutes shy of doneness, brush with honey and sprinkly with dried lemon thyme and any other hebs you like. Just make sure that they are ground well with a mortar/pestle. Also, watch the honey closely, it likes to scorch under the broiler.

2: Salmon cooked en pappiollete (spellings bad)
Cut a square of parchment paper and place a few pieces of fresh dill off center. Place a salmon fillet on top of the dill. Season with salt and pepper, then top with julliened carrots, and lemon slices. Fold the parchement paper over and staple the seams so it forms a closed pouch. Cook at 350 or 400 until done to you liking. I serve this with a mango couscous and parmesan asparagus. A good spring recipe.

The only problem with the 2nd recipe is that the surface of the salmon ends up covered with white spots that I assume are some sort of protein coagulation. Any ideas on how to avoid this and just get pretty pink salmon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum