Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

48 blade meat tenderizer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: 48 blade meat tenderizer Reply with quote

Hello. I heard someone mention a 48-blade meat tenderizer for tenderizing meat, and I was wondering if it was a good item. I would think that an item that perforates meat like one of those would cause a loss of juices, which would not be a good thing. Would it be a good item in my kitchen, or would I be better off with a standard meat tenderizer?

Thanks!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those blade type tenderizers where the three rows of about 16 blades (I never counted them before) extend when you push the device against the meat. That type of tenderizer DOES NOT cause a lack of juiciness in meats as long as you use it BEFORE you cook it. If you were to penetrate meat with it while you were cooking it, say on a grill or broiling, then all the juice would run out. So use it during food prep and you will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to split hairs: "tenderizing" meat means to gelatinize the collagen.

the blade thingies are really just perforating your meat. Kinda like what they do with toilet paper. Both are for your perceived convenience.

use the blade thingie on a cut of meat: you've got ground meat walking
Howard

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you watch:

Good Eats - S10E04 - Cubing A Round
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that show, and that is the "tenderizer" I own. It works just like Alton says.

To truly tenderize, i.e. break down the collagen, a little papain (Adolph's meat tenderizer-which comes from papaya) works very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum