Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thickening my salad dressing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljtong

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: thickening my salad dressing Reply with quote

Hello All,

My caesar salad dressing is always too watery. If I were cooking something, I would use corn starch to thicken it.
But what can/should I use for thickening a salad dressing?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little out of my realm, but how about using some pulverized croutons in the dressing to thicken it up?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a recipe with coddled eggs? If not, you can try coddling (soft boiling for a short period of time) an egg or two and blending it into your dressing.
dragonfly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: hhmmm... Reply with quote

lj, what's your recipe? A classic ceasar dressing should be predominantly EVOO, which is at perfect consistency when refrigerated for it's resting time after mixing and prior to serving. Besides, I don't think ya really want a thick (creamy?) ceasar dressing; it's so powerful in flavor, it doesn't/shouldn't need to have a thick feel in your mouth. (YUK) Ya want my recipe?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: hhmmm... Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
lj, what's your recipe? A classic ceasar dressing should be predominantly EVOO, which is at perfect consistency when refrigerated for it's resting time after mixing and prior to serving. Besides, I don't think ya really want a thick (creamy?) ceasar dressing; it's so powerful in flavor, it doesn't/shouldn't need to have a thick feel in your mouth. (YUK) Ya want my recipe?

I'd like your recipe. I prefer a thinner, less oily dressing. On salad, all I usually use is balsamic vinegar and ground pepper.
ljtong

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's quite simple:

mustard powder, mayonnaise, lemon juice, some olive oil at the end

Yeah I would definitely love a recipe for salad dressing...

any other ideas on thickening my dressing?

Thanks!!
Channa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you should stir in some of the grated cheese, but you don't seem to use cheese. Smile

Are you using mayonnaise instead of the egg? I do, too. Have you tried adding some anchovies, or Worcestershire sauce, or garlic to give it a little more oomph? And then a lot of grated cheese when you toss it? If you're vegetarian, you can even find veg Worcestershire.
szechjeff

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Thickening caesar salad dressing ... Reply with quote

Particularly endorse the pulverized croutons idea. Smile [My good friend used to call em "cretins" and, no, she wasn't one.]

You might also try pulverized walnuts. It would add a walnuty flavor but would certainly work in terms of thickening and overall richness. You'd have to make sure that any guests were not allergic to walnuts.

I live in San Diego which is just across the border from Tijuana. While there is always some debate, the origin of the caesar salad dressing has been credited to a Tijuana restauranteer/chef, Caesar Cardini, who invented it in 1924.

Best!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Caesar Cardini brand of salad dressings sold in New York, but I don't know how widely distributed it is.
ashadanielle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: my recipe Reply with quote

3 cloves garlic
2 eggs

blend

salt + pepper
5 dashes lee n perrins
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
one thumb of olive oil
handful of parmesan

blend

chill in refrigerator until time to use

the best Smile
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered many interesting measures,

but a "thumb of olive oil" is not one of them . . . .

how many ml is that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum