Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vegetarians?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a vegetarian?
yes, I never eat meat.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I eat meat occasionally.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Always eat meat.
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Thor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Foul Ball Reply with quote

I still don't understand. What is the difference between duck and chicken that makes one fowl fouler than the other? Venison vs. goat? Mothra vs. Godzilla?
Ishbel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, Thor? Youngcook seems to have a unique 'take' on the world of food and drink. Big smile

Last edited by Ishbel on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
youngcook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I am sooo special.Eat certain meats ,leave the rest.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosher and Halal are similar, but are not the same. They both have restrictions and protocols that overlap, but each has additional requirements the other does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_dietary_laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Dhabi%C4%A5a_Halal_and_Kashrut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B8%8Eab%C4%AB%E1%B8%A5ah

Wikipedia is great for information. It isn't always completely neutral or 100% correct, but if you read enough of their articles on a given topic, you will get to enough sources to give a good picture of the situation.
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Halal Reply with quote

OK. Halal also varies by which madhab (juristic school) you follow.

Maliki fiqh is the operative one in our house. We eat duck, we eat shellfish, we eat just about everything else commonly served in the US except for pork and alcohol. Technically, we could even eat a dog since it is considered makruh (disliked) and not haram; but it is better to abstain from the disliked and besides, I like dogs. (Maliki fiqh considers every living thing to be pure; it's sweat, tears, and saliva. So a Maliki can pet a dog or a pig, wash their hands, and go ahead and pray. Some other madhabs pretty much require a full bath after such contact.)

When we are at home we try and obtain all of our meats from Zebiha sources; that is animals that are killed according to Islamic Law. When we are travelling, we take advantage of a dispensation that allows one to eat that which has been killed by People of the Book. We'll also eat kosher; but sometimes the reception in kosher places isn't friendly.

The one exception is game meat; when hunting one shoots as normal and then performs the proper slaughter technique upon reaching the animal. So if I bag a rabbit, I then slaughter it when I reach it.

Like many American converts it was initially difficult to make all the dietary changes here at home. Vanilla extract vanished to be replaced by oil extraction vanilla flavor. Vanilla extract made by my old practice of putting a bean in a bottle of good rum and letting it sit for a year was replaced by vanilla sugar made by putting a vanilla bean in sugar and letting it sit for a few months. Since my husband has food allergies we were already used to reading labels - but now we have to watch out for more things.

Bread and tortillas sound like they wouldn't be an issue; but they most definitely can be problematic. What dough conditioners were used? If the bakery uses L-cystiene, that's off the menu since the L-cystiene is usually from human hair imported from India and eating any portion of a human being is forbidden. (Apparently this is acceptable if one keeps kosher, which makes no sense at all to me.)

Gelatin? Beef or pork? (Type A or Cool. Was it from a zebiha slaughter? Muslims can't use kosher animal gelatin since kosher rules permit the use of dried bones regardless of method of slaughter while halal requires that the gelatin be from a properly slaughtered animal. Gelatin has been replaced by the various agar and carageenan products, some of which just don't adapt well to old standby recipes.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslims are refrain from eating pork, right?
CookNewb

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all, when I posted the above reply, I did not see that there was a second page.

Regarding Dr. Atkins,... he was ahead of his time. He did not know why people eating more protein lost more weight than the ones that didn't. There are studies now confirming his findings, but eating more protein does not necessarily mean that you will be healthier. Too much protein can lead to certain illnesses such as gout.

I am trying to become a raw vegan, however I work in a kitchen which makes it quite difficult. (Too much good food!) I find some techniques for raw vegan preparation fascinating. For examples, sprouting your own sprouts and soaking nuts to make them more palatable and nutritious. making your own fermented foods (pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut) sounds really interesting also.
ERdept

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to not eat meat due to idealism while in college. But, we're the apex preditor on the planet.

We are made to eat everything, equally, not just meat, or veggies, but all in combo. OU bodies are healthiest with a balanced diet.

Meat tastes great and its a part of our diet. So now, I have no qualms about eating it at all. It's part of the natural cycle of life. Animals eat plants or each other, they die, soil becomes plants, and bacteria, bugs, and worms eat us in the end.

Eat the damned meat and just enjoy it. What makes it taste bad is the conflitected thought you have about it. Just do as nature designed you. Eat, make love, live and enjoy life. Drink wine, and smoke a little.
ERdept

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby, the other white meat.

Just kidding. I like meat. We (people) are meant to eat meat. All things on earth rely on other things, animal and/or plants, to be killed, or die and decay, to keep existing.

Only our minds draw artificial boundries, when we declare vegitarianism. I'll follow my million year old tradition of eating meat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum