Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indoor gas grill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biogeek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Indoor gas grill Reply with quote

This is really stupid, but I just got interested into cooking fairly recently. I've been using the same kitchen for a few years already, but I finally decided to start maximizing the tools of the kitchen, including a mid 80s Jenn-Air gas grill alongside two regular burners. But, when I turned the grill on, there was smoke coming out of it after I turned it off and a burnt smell lingered in the air.

1) Is that normal?

2) Is there something that's supposed to be underneath the grate to catch any oil or fat that might drip down? If you're putting food on the grill, some fat or oil is going to drip down and it just seems, from a design point of view, that there should be something to catch that.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume there would be something to catch the grease, and if there was I would probably line that thing with heavy duty aluminum foil so I wouldn't have to scrape burnt grease.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There IS supposed to be a humongously powerful exhaust fan in the hood when you have a gas grill with your stove.
Biogeek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a powerful fan, that's built into the system.

You know, I really don't understand the purpose or function of this indoor grill vs. using that space for more burners. All the grill is doing is using gas to heat up the grill, which you use aforementioned hot grill to heat up any food you place on said grill. But, how is that really any different from using a regular burner that everybody has in their kitchens? In both cases, you're using gas to heat up something which then heats up the food. At least, with grill where you're using charcoal, you're getting those flavors from that.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilling doesn't require charcoal, and you wouldn't want to use it indoors anyway, because when charcoal burns you get your regular combustion products of CO2 and water, but you also get CO, and I don't think I would want to trust an exhaust fan with my life or have to worry about the fire department being called by my automatic CO alarm. When propane burns, there is almost zero CO as a combustion product. Natural gas probably also has close to zero CO.

Do you have a real gas grill in your kitchen? If you do, there should be lava rocks or ceramic coals just like in an outdoor grill. You use it just like a real outdoor gas grill and do real grilling on it. Its nice for when it is raining, snowing or during bad weather outdoors. If you have a large stovetop (36-48 inches wide--the equivalent of six to eight 12" x 12" gas burners) they are really nice to have, and you will still have ample stove burner space.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think having a CO monitor call the fire department is too little, too late.

Rig it so it starts ventilating. And wakes you up.

That's all the FD is gonna do, anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum