Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

toppings for asparagus?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moorejb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: toppings for asparagus? Reply with quote

I made asparagus the other night and I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what could possibly added to them for more flavor? Any ideas?

Thanks
Jess
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using already? A simple topping of salt and freshly ground pepper and some light olive oil is always excellent. If you're looking for something more, then you can try sauteing some garlic and onions to accompany the asparagus.
moorejb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: asparagus Reply with quote

Thank You! I used garlic, salt, pepper, and some olive oil--but I felt like it needed more flavor. I'll try your tip with the onions! thank you
opqdan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollandaise sauce is a traditional topping over asparagus.

Taking a few stalks (depending on size), and wrapping them in bacon tastes great, but it can be difficult to eat.

I prefer mine drizzled with a little bit of olive oil and covered in grated parmesan then roasted at high heat (400F+). This makes for one of my all time favorite vegetable side dishes. The parm adds enough salt and forms a great tasting crust that goes well with the sweetness of the asparagus (made all the more sweet by the roasting). Only roast till they start getting brown though, they will still be a little crisp.

There's nothing worse than soggy asparagus. Along those lines, for the love of food, never ever use canned asparagus. I have had success with frozen though.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: toppings for asparagus? Reply with quote

moorejb wrote:
I made asparagus the other night and I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what could possibly added to them for more flavor? Any ideas?

Thanks
Jess

Do what you did, squeeze of fresh lemon. What citrus does for such things makes your mouth happy.

Biggles
juju

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: toppings for asparagus? Reply with quote

Just add sauteed garlic and mini sweet pepper. It's delicious. Wink
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add garlic, onion, black pepper, salt, and lemon to it. Suate onion until it browns then add all other ingredients adding the salt and black pepper last. Big smile
moorejb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: toppings for asparagus Reply with quote

Thank You for all the suggestions!!

The Parmesan tip was absolutely scrumptious!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like some toasted almonds on top for a little crunch after I saute with olive oil, shallots, garlic, mushrooms, salt & pepper.

I'll have to try that parmesean one soon.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Never say never... Reply with quote

opqdan wrote:
There's nothing worse than soggy asparagus. Along those lines, for the love of food, never ever use canned asparagus. I have had success with frozen though.

I use canned asparagus in my chicken & asparagus quesadillas. That reason alone is enough to buy the Salton cooker for making them.
Watt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finely chopped boiled egg is also used, but I prefer either Hollandaise or a little thickened stock if you cook the aspagus in stock first of all, guinea fowl stock is best for this.
I would not recommend the fad of sauteing asparagus, this will lead to nasty acrylamide being produced, and asparagus doesn't taste of much if fried! [IMHO anyway] Shock stick to simmering in water or stock. Teasing

just thoughts
Watt
Ishbel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it simmered and then served with either shavings of parmesan or hollandaise.

As a starter, I sometime quickly blanch the asparagus and then take two spears and wrap with proscuitto up to the seedy head part and then cooked on a griddle pan until the proscuitto frizzles .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twop suggestions along the same lines as I've read posted.

1. Along with Hollandaise, Bernaise sauce works well too.

2.. Traditional olive oil, salt and pepper, especially if grilled is our personal favorite.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised no one else mentioned this
but asparagus, after being roasted with sea salt and EVOO

is awesome with gorgonzola cheese
crumbled and gently melted in the oven, just a few minutes

yum Smile
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Topping for asparagus Reply with quote

Around here a little non-fat yogurt with a little lemon juice, a tad of garlic, and some dill is pretty popular. Sometimes I put in a little olive oil.

I've been known to serve this as a sauce on the side when serving salmon and asparagus together.

Another option is a mix of pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and sumac - the non-toxic spice kind you get from Middle Eastern and Greek grocers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum