Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oven mitt/heat resistant gloves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Oven mitt/heat resistant gloves Reply with quote

I'm new and really appreciate this site. Logged on a couple of weeks ago and now look at it every day. You guys also have me getting out my cast iron pan, which had been used only once in the last 4 years since purchase. Yesterday, I made some pan-fried chicken which had my 6 year old son thanking God at bedtime prayers.

One thing though, the pan gets HOT. Right now all I have are kitchen towels to protect me. Regular hot pads were too thin, towels get too unwieldy. I'm thinking of getting a pair of silicone heat resistant gloves. Any suggestions?
SirSpice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two small silicon clamp mitts, and one whole arm silicon mitt. I really like the whole arm mitt one, since it's always dry you can trust it better. The biggest problem I have with it is that I can't keep it on my hand for more than a minute without my hand starting to sweat.

In his book, Alton Brown suggest leather welding gloves from the hardware store. It sounds more comfortable than a mitten, but it's not waterproof.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirSpice wrote:
In his book, Alton Brown suggest leather welding gloves from the hardware store. It sounds more comfortable than a mitten, but it's not waterproof.

I got the welding gloves... they are very durable (fire proof, cut/tear proof - I got the Kevlar lined ones), but not so much insulating. My hands get uncomfortably warm, then hot, then really really hot. The gloves take a while to cool down after - but they don't light on fire. I'm also watching this column in anticipation of a new oven mitt.

Or, maybe I should try a whole bunch and write an article? That sounds like a lot of work and potential burning (or at least discomfort). I'll have to think about it.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a service to us all, plus it sounds like an interesting experiment
rchang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Or, maybe I should try a whole bunch and write an article? That sounds like a lot of work and potential burning (or at least discomfort). I'll have to think about it.

For the heat tests, you could put a probe thermometer into the glove/mitt interior to measure the internal temperature instead of your hand. I'm looking for the best trade off for heat resistance (I definitely do not have restaurant hands) and dexterity.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
My hands get uncomfortably warm, then hot, then really really hot. The gloves take a while to cool down after - but they don't light on fire.

Is that just from casually removing a pan from the oven, or were you holding to something hot for a long time?
opqdan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When America's Test Kitchen tested out oven mitts they included the silicone ones and decided that you simply lost too much dexterity for them to stand up agains other. I guess the testers could barely tell what they were doing.

The one that ended up coming out tops was a Kevlar/Nomex glove made by Kool-Tek (http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=114568). Probably the most interesting factor is that in addition to being as easy to use as your normal oven mitt (no stiff silicone), they apparently couldn't get it to light on fire, so no trouble in that regard.

EDIT: That's because the outside is made out of Nomex, the stuff they make fire fighters suits out of.

They like it enough that it is the only mitt that you see them use now on the show.

You can read the whole article at the test kitchen website but it require registration (free).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum