Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catering problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteEverything

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Catering problem Reply with quote

Usually if I'm catering I don't do parties of more than forty people by myself. The parties are usually done by course with individual servings. That's fun. This is the problem:
I agreed to cook for a benefit which hopes to draw three-hundred and fifty people. All I need to cook are a few kinds of chili and a couple kinds of cornbread, which is no sweat, but I have no idea how much to make. Any caterers around to help me out?
SirSpice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is a filling serving of chile? Like 2-3 cups a person?

Maybe you should try eGullet, I'm pretty sure it's the biggest food forum out there.
McDee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a caterer, but did just finish up a class in menu development and event planning. Can't give any solid answers with the current info, but here are ideas to consider:

Is this a first-time event or an annual one where one of the staff members may be able to put you in contact with someone who served last year who may have some better guidance?

Are you the only caterer, or are there others?

Is it a seated affair, or do the guests wander around and sample? (350 portions or an estimated percentage of the guests)

Are you supposed to ensure that all 350 people get full, are you providing one of many courses, or merely providing a sample of your food for them to taste? (8-12 oz, 4-6 oz, or 2-3 oz portions)
TasteEverything

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still don't have all of the info yet, which is a problem. as far as i know, this is a one-shot benefit that's never been done before. i'm catering it with the help of a friend/co-worker of mine. i believe it's all-you-can-eat where everyone just mills around and talks and goes back for more as many times as they want.
ConfidentCook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you would find this helpful. The site also links to quantity guidelines for larger parties.

http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/partyfoodplanning.html
TasteEverything

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, all. i think i've got it figured out. now i just need to cost everything out. . .the fun part.
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

TasteEverything wrote:
thanks, all. i think i've got it figured out. now i just need to cost everything out. . .the fun part.

Once you've determined if the servings are supposed to be a full meal or simply a light dinner you can calculate the proper amounts. There is also the classic commercial cookbook, Food For Fifty, which you should be able to find or get on interlibrary loan at your local library. The title is misleading; it gives instructions on how to scale recipes for very large groups, say an entire university or military base. B^)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum