Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fear of undercooked meat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of restaurunt is this? Most restaurunts serve all the guests at a table at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally something I can speak to with some semblance of a good knowledge base (practicing physician).

Beef.. as metioned before the contamination comes from contaminated surfaces being ground into the ground beef mixture. A good butcher should be willing to grind a single chuck steak into hamburger for you minimizing external contamination. E coli and other enteric bacteria are the common culperates and cooking to med rare or more will kill this. It it possible to have fine tartar if yuo minimize the surfaces compromising the ground beef.

Chicken/Fowl you should always assume are contaminated with Campylobacter and Salmonella. Again cooking to med rare or beyone will kill these. I would not recommend a tartar with these.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a stand mixer (I speak with personal knowledge of the Kitchenaid) just get a meat grinder attachment or pulse cubes of meat in the food processor, and do your own. They are easy to clean and you don't have to worry about anybody messing up with dirty surfaces or mixing pork, poultry and beef in the same unclean grinder. If you want to be really compulsive (I'm not that compulsive about this--well rinsed beef is fine for me) you can take a large cut of beef, cut off the outer layer and grind the inner part which will not have touched the outside world until trim it. Then, with that, you can make anything you want from tartar to well done burgers and make well done burgers from the outer layer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum