Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Titanium cookware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenthompson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Titanium cookware Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used titanium cookware? Comments about it?
eltonyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanuim cookware is the latest (stupid) idea, that i bet, will draw lots of stupid (i.e. stoooopid) people to its greatest, and yet totally non-related, uses yet!!!

first of all... the word "titanium" almost vibrates, with all too many, as something only "superman" can possess, let alone understand and own!

if they make a titanium "razor blade" (with only hints of titanium), for ten times the money, for one stupid example... then a titanium "frying pan" must make food ten times better!!!!

sigh!

look people.... first of all, no pan you buy will be made of pure titanium, and the name is only used to sucker you in to pay more!

the mere thin veneer you recieve of titatnium, will be on a "non-stick" surface.

HINT#1 to serious cookers: Just say "NO", to outragiously priced, non-stick, pans, with the latest voo-doo mineral, or element.

most serious cooks, want a somewhat "sticky" surface, with a high heat capacity, like the good'ol iron pans, or all-clad stainless surfaces, or aluminum, that leave good concentrated food bits on the bottom (for de-glazing and taste goodness).

it is a fact, that stainless steel cooks more consistently than the most expensive material, and latest new-comer, titanium.

unless you are a Mt. Everest climber on a daily basis, and you need the maximum strength to weight ratio (i.e. as if you will be cooking an omelette and need a non-stick pan!!!!, whilst using the pan to beat a "sasquantch", in those conditions!!!!.. AS IF!!!), you are wasting your money, and time, on something less desirable, but way more expensive!

who gives a crap, about a "new" non-stick surface, that costs loads of money, that does not offer anything above the normal non-stick pan, other than a fancy strength_and_material name... that hopes to sucker in a bunch of new_age cookers.... for lots of extra money... who should NOT be worrying about the strength_to_weight ratio of their god damn frying pan cuz they burn their eggs to begin with!?!?!?

sigh... (sorry... i lost my head!)

* picks up head, and asks 'clown#3' to screw it on. *

sorry.

i lost my head there. its back now.

just say "NO" to expensive new-age-metal non-stick pans.... and learn to cook an omelette on your great grandmothers ol'iron pan (with butter)... (or cheaper non-stick-non-titanium pan if you must!)

p.s. just say NO!

p.s.2 sorry to get clown#3 involved. i was hoping to keep secret the fact that i have a family of clowns that live within my head (and sleep under my bed), who bicker and snicker all night long... with their big, huge, clown feet.... and stuff and such.
nonstickfred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Seems to me that you might be off yer meds Reply with quote

But, it is, after all, just an assumption.
Big smile
Personally, I love the idea of washing my frypan with a cheap paper towel. But, the practical side dictates a bit of soap and a rinse, then a towel.
I was just crushed, however to learn that scanpan has PTFE. In your rampages, have you EVER seen a truly non-toxic non-stick pan, and if so, give it up. SHARE!
Thanx,
NonStick
eltonyo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shea... 'crushed' is a relative term theses days.

if you opted to get a "flu shot", you just got inoculated with mercury.

are you 'crushed'? Wink

but hey.... keep worring about the little things.... like paying 5 times the money, for a non-stick pan,.... (that all it is, but ain't).

that don't even "cut the cheese"...so to speak.

p.s. repeat: "that doesn't even do!", relative to a flood of cheapness that does.
grantmasterflash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you've missed the point of titanium? It's not a strength to weight ratio or anything else. For some reason the "Teflon" sticks better to it allowing them to make a tougher non-stick surface so you can use metal utinsels. That's it. I have several titanium lined pans (sautee and small frypan) that I use for eggs, bacon, stirfrys etc... Everything else I use my "stick pans" for.

P.S. You don't have to pay a fortune for titanium. I paid $20 for my egg pan and $40 for my Sautee pan at TJMaxx
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that titanium cookware is used only for camping (due to weight advantage and prohibitive price).
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:
I heard that titanium cookware is used only for camping (due to weight advantage and prohibitive price).

Aluminum would serve that purpose much better. Titanium is a terrible conductor of heat and is also horribly expensive per pound.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
Aluminum would serve that purpose much better. Titanium is a terrible conductor of heat and is also horribly expensive per pound.

The reason for the expense of titanium has always been a question of mine. Afterall, it is the fourth most common metal (1-iron, 2-aluminum, 3-copper, 4-titanium) and the eight most common element in the earth's crust.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on The New Scientist magazine (my favorite all time favorite science magazine, they had a large article on a new extraction process of titanium) that titanium is so expenxive becaue of how involved the extraction process is. The article was featuring a new method of titanium extraction that would have made titanium possibly cheap enough to make cutlery out of. I have not seen any titanium cutlery recently however so I guess the process was not a success.
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a cheap process for extracting and refining titanium were to be invented, it would still have no place in kitchen knives because of its low hardness and wear resistance.
jagstyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen titanium cutlery at The Japan Woodworker:
Titanium Kitchen Knives

CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so interesting. I did not know titanium cutlery existed. When the first Blade movie (starring Wesley Snipes) came ou I saw a few threads on why his "acid etched titanium sword" would not work in real life. The major issue would be hardness. A titanium sword might be stronger than a steel one, but not harder, so it would lose its sharpness very quickly. I wonder it the titanium cutlery in the above post is actually a titanium alloy. It probably could be made harder than titanium alone.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium cutlery sounds like a gimmick (or fraud). Even though JWW is a respectable source.

The only advantage would be weight.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this page regarding titanium and swords/knives/cutlery

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/titanium.html

I agree with SirSpice, titanium/titanium alloy really has no practical place for knives unless you need the acid resistance for cutting sulfuric acid infused tomatoes all day long!
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Seems to me that you might be off yer meds Reply with quote

nonstickfred wrote:
But, it is, after all, just an assumption.
:D
Personally, I love the idea of washing my frypan with a cheap paper towel. But, the practical side dictates a bit of soap and a rinse, then a towel.
I was just crushed, however to learn that scanpan has PTFE. In your rampages, have you EVER seen a truly non-toxic non-stick pan, and if so, give it up. SHARE!
Thanx,
NonStick

I highly recommend Swiss Diamond. It is pressure cast aluminum body with bonded (not sprayed-on Teflon) material that contains industrial diamond particles, which are good heat conductors.

I have used mine for a solid two years and they look brand new. They release burned-on food with just a wipe and a quick rinse. They can be used with metal utensils and go in the dishwasher (two things I would never do!) They also have a limited lifetime warranty and nifty glass lids with vent knobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum