Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preserving lemons in brine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joan Wade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Preserving lemons in brine Reply with quote

I have seen reference to preserving lemons in brine, which would indicate a pickling, and therby too tart to eat? Wanted to garnish appetizer smoked salmon, St.Andre cheese, with the preserved lemon in appetizer. I have never had one. Wolfert has a recipe, Morrocan, that doesn't help me much in this regard right now. Anyone tried lemons in brine? Also, I have seen jars of oranges preserved and persimmons - wonder if they are sweet/tart by being preserved in sugar? Very ignorant in this subject and need help. Thanks, Joan
watt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joan,

preserving lemons in brine (or salt and lemon juice) matures the flavour of the lemon (and makes it much softer to the teeth). It is used in middle eastern and especially Moroccan cooking, where usually only the rind is used (even though all the lemon is preserved). IMHO, I would not think it suitable for smoked salmon, and definitely not with cheese (though I don't like cheese and any meat in general).

Preserved lemons have, IMHO, a superb flavour, quite unlike fresh lemons, I urge you to try some out, I'm sure you will find them an excellent flavour, one which mixes well with spices rather than shine out as something separate, if you follow my meaning.

have a go Smile
watt
Joan Wade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: preserved lemons Reply with quote

Thanks Matt - appreciate your response and god advice! joan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum