Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what kind of wine is best for cheese fondue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
es

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: what kind of wine is best for cheese fondue? Reply with quote

i've googled this topic, and surprisingly, i haven't found much detailed info. most recipes call for dry, so i've used chardonnay, but i saw riesling and sauvignon blanc mentioned as well. i typically use the cheapest chardonnay i can get, usually 3.99 a bottle. but my last batch didn't taste very good, definitely due to the wine i used. i'd love to hear from others who can recommend which wine to use that is relatively inexpensive yet yields a good taste.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want your fondue to taste good, you have to use a wine you would be satisfied to drink. I think only high school kids drink $3.99 wine. Teasing If you are going to the trouble of making a cheese fondue, the wine is only a small part of the time, cost and effort. Any of the types of wine you mentioned would be good. I have a sweet tooth when it comes to fondue, so the Riesling would be good for me.
iBeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few different cheese fondues, and I've never been able to find one that I like that invovles wine - it always comes out too 'puckering'. But that is only my tastes though.
My favourite cheese fondue recipe however is an Italian Cheese Fondue, and it SOOOOO good:

1 lbs of Mozorella Cheese
1 cup diced tomatoes (spiced if possible)
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp tobasco

Put the diced tomatoes through a food processor. In a double boiler, mix and melt all the ingredients

Keep the temp low in the fondue pot, and dip 1 inch slices of french bread ...

My mouth is watering already, I think I'll have to make some up in the next few days!
Taamar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use chardonnay, just because of the oakiness. An unoaked chard sounds pretty good, though. I generally use white port because it can be stored indefinately.
cloud_swift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use a dry Riesling. Dry chardonay is fine but I like the flavor better with riesling. Also, that style of wine would be more what is traditional in fondue.

For a more specific recommendation, we have been using Trefethen Estate Riesling for fondue.

It is important to use a wine you like drinking because a lot of the flavor comes through in the fondue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum