Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sous Vide (vacuum) Food processor/Blender
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Sous Vide (vacuum) Food processor/Blender Reply with quote

Hello! I am new here! What a kick ass forum (and website in general)!

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone knew of a food processor or blender that worked sous vide (blends or processes in a vacuum). The only one I could find on the net is the Robot Coupe one but the smallest size they have is 2 gallons! I need something to use at home so something smaller than 2 gal.

Thank you for any reply!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. Why do you need to food process in a vacuum?
IndyRob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, I put the Googling Device to this problem....

Quote:
To use the R8 as a vacuum cutter mixer, simply attach the vacuum kit R-VAC, patented by Robot-Coupe, to the R10 lid and connect to a vacuum pump.The sous-vide model is a cutter mainly used to mix, grind and homogenize foods under vacuum, this results in higher quality longer lasting end products.?Adjustable blades ensure:- thorough mixing - perfect cut - consistant quality?This vacuum kit allows liquids be added while processing. Vacuum processing allows you to obtain better results by giving: - longer shelf life - retention of flavors - fresh presentation and all naturally without additives?This sous-vide appliance has applications: ?- in the food sector for foie gras, liver or fish terrine, galantine, white pudding or sausage?- in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic laboratories for base preparations with creams, powders etc

Hmmm.... I can certainly imagine my FoodSaver vacuum canister morphed into a food processer bowl. The result would literally be sous vide (under vacuum). I imagine chopping dynamics could be altered considerably in a vaccum. But for fois gras? Perhaps the intent is not to whip any air into the mixture.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that my R2N was fairly expensive some time ago, I checked out the R8 sous vide. It runs about 4 large. If the vacuum helps retard spoilage and gives other benefits like somewhat smoother textures in creamed products, I'll just have to make smaller batches and "suffer" with a little air mixed in with my processed food.

Now if there was a vacuum lid I could place on my Vita-Mix (probably easy to make) for a reasonable price, I'd go for that!
CookNewb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garyprotein looks like you answered your own question! lol
Yes, I want a sous vide food processor or blender to retard spoilage and avoid oxidation. The food processor I alluded to as being too big is indeed the R8 Robot Coupe. Fois Gras is also processed in a sous vide food processor if you do not want it to change colour due to oxidation.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a silly, but plausible, solution.... Put a food processor inside an airtight container and vacuumize (is that a word?) the whole thing.

Many appliances these days have power cords that unplug from the back of the unit. So buy an extra one, and epoxy it permanently through a hole in a rigid plastic container. Scavenge a FoodSaver-type valve and put it on the (sealable) lid. Then put the (loaded) food processor into the unit, cover with the lid, and vacuum out the air. Then process by...huh?...ummm, err...yeah, the food processor buttons are now sealed up, aren't they? Wink

Okay, maybe a little more rewiring might be needed. Or, with an R/C servo and transmitter, you could rig up a remote button pushing device.

Oh sure, the motor may burn out due to the lack of any air cooling - but it might be spectacular and you'll have saved thousands of dollars to buy more motors Wink.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndyRob wrote:
Here's a silly, but plausible, solution.... Put a food processor inside an airtight container and vacuumize (is that a word?) the whole thing..

Evacuate it the word. That's a great idea. How's this:

Get one of those storage bags they sell on TV informertials where you load your clothes or whatever into the bag and then connect the bag to your vacuum cleaner to suck out the air. Just put your food processor inside in place of the clothes. The food processor probably won't burn out because you only run it for short bursts. The vacuum won't be 30", but it will be better than nothing, and you already had a vacuum cleaner (well, didn't you?) and the bags are $19.95 for a whole assortment, enough to also use them for their intended purpose!!!!!!

If I want fois gras, I'll just buy it. Besides, I don't have the space to keep geese burried up to their necks in soil or a staff to force feed them until I get around to harvesting their fat laden livers for fois gras. The truth is, I'm not crazy about fois gras, but I am sure there are benefits to food processing in vacuo. However, I have managed to do OK so far without it. If I win Lotto, I'll put the R8 on my list of things to buy. Until then, I'll wait until someone comes out with a smaller, home sized model priced in the hundreds rather than the thousands.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is I noticed that when you blend strawberries they become bland. I am guessing its the oxidation as if I mash the strawberries with a fork, they retain all the flavor.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! I see RobotCoupe making a $4000+ sale in the near future!
CookNewb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
OMG! I see RobotCoupe making a $4000+ sale in the near future!

ROTFLMAO!! Laughing Out Loud
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG is the only "initial speak" I know. What did you say?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:

ROTFLMAO is Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

Urban Dictionary is good for all the slang that I can't keep up with.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
GaryProtein wrote:

ROTFLMAO is Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

Urban Dictionary is good for all the slang that I can't keep up with.

That's hilarious! What will they think of next?
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be the most hilarious thread I have ever read!! LOL!
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: How to make a "sous vide" blender Reply with quote

1) Get one of these

http://www.oster.com/productdetail.aspx?id=75&cat=3

2) and one of these

http://www.totalvac.com/parts/83819.html

3) and finally one of these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004110/p-2004110/N-111+10201+600003595/c-10101

Drill a hole in item #2 so that the nozzle at the end of the tube in item #3 is a force-fit. Affix the nozzle in place with Gorilla Glue or equivalent. Use the modified item 2 with item 1 and produce vacuum by squeezing pump handle of item 3. Enjoy your new sous vide blender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum