Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best canned tomatoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathyvegas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Best canned tomatoes Reply with quote

Not having the benefit of a back yard garden where I live (most tomato varieties won't set fruit in excessive desert heat), I'm always looking for new brands of canned tomatoes that may be most like fresh primarily for making pasta & pizza sauces and Tex-Mex dishes. I typically don't care for the oddly sweet flavor of commercial tomatoes "with basil", it's easy enough to add herbs when I choose to use them. Tomato pastes are all basically in the same taste plane. I'm looking for plain whole peeled tomatoes that are so good I'd go out of my way to buy a case to have them on hand. The Muir Glen line of peeled whole tomatoes are currently in my pantry, but I'm always on the look-out for the "ultimate" commercially canned whole peeled tomatoes......any recommendations?
eltonyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Americas Test Kitchen".... for whatever that is worth... picked "Progresso" for its firm texture, bright acidity, and fresh taste amongst other brands... though Muir Glen has always been close to the top

It's a "subjective" type of thang... much like politics, religion, and SPORTS!

p.s. Speaking of religion.... Jesus is rooting for the SEAHAWKS on tomorrows game against the Chicago bears!

p.s.2 But in regards to canned tomatoes.... just say "whatever" in valley-ghurl-style.... and go along with the Seattle Seahawks.... that would be my most "humble" opinion. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum