Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between unbleached and bleached all purpose flour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Difference between unbleached and bleached all purpose flour Reply with quote

What is the difference between unbleached and bleached all purpose flour. When would you use one over the over. If a recipe calls for bleached flour and you use unbleached, how much does it effect finished baking product.
Thor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: 2 Bleach or not 2 Bleach Reply with quote

All-purpose flour is aged somewhat to allow the color to lighten and to allow the proteins that ultimately make up gluten, the building block of many baked goods, to cure. These factors apparently make for better quality baked goods.

Unbleached flour is allowed to age on its own, with little or no chemical assistance (check the label). Bleached flour is chemically treated to reduce the time from milling to packaging, and for color control. Color wise, unbleached flour may have a yellowish or off white tint, while bleached flour is stark white. Other than color, which may be important for cakes or pastries, there is very little difference in result between the two all-purpose flours. Chlorine bleached all-purpose may damage some of the gluten forming proteins which would produce a slightly less bread-like, slightly more cake-like finished product.

The site below has tons of info on baking ingredients. It's unusually organised, but has good stuff.

http://www.baking911.com/index.htm

What are you baking??
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: King Arthur flour Reply with quote

I always use King Arthur, they are the best! They never use any wierd chemicals to process their products.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but I believe unbleached flour is generally preferred for breads and pizza doughs. I've found it superior for making french bread and pizza.

I believe the primary difference is the amount of protein which gets turned into gluten upon agitation. In bread you usually want a lot of gluten to hold the air bubbles made by the yeast. So you use a high protein flour and knead the heck out of it.

In contrast, for, say, brownies where gluten is your enemy. You don't want brownies with the texture of bread. Most recipes limit mixing to 50 strokes. So you'd probably use all purpose bleached here.

Similarly, biscuits are often at the other extreme. Usually a low protein (cake?) flour is recommended (White Lily being the brand name that I recall).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum