Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Rib Roasts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountain lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Standing Rib Roasts Reply with quote

I have been on several web sites to find a recipe/method to cook a prime rib for Christmas. This site recommends the slow cook method.
However, I found a site that cautioned cooking at 200 degrees could produce an enviornoment for bacterial growth. Should this be a concern using the recipe/instructions suggested here?
IndyRob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've been gravitating to lower and lower roasting temperatures, I've cooked several holiday rib roasts by more conventional methods and all have been very well received.

Season well, preheat oven to 500(F) or 550 and turn down to 325 as soon as the roast goes in. More important than anything else is monitoring the internal temperature. Pull the roast out 5-10 degrees before it reaches your final desired temperature. It will coast the rest of the way.

Although you may get many varying opinons here, the differences will be be between a A grade, a A+ or a A++. Aunt Edna won't be able to tell the difference, and (true story) a new latino in-law may find meat that is still red incredibly off-putting.

So, even if the science presented here is sound, IMHO, the last thing you want to do on a holiday is something that will cause you worry. A rib roast is a beautiful, simple (and expensive) thing that's hard to screw up. If you're not confident with a cooking technique, don't use it in such an important situation.
nehrda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: slow cooking standing rib roast Reply with quote

I have been cooking rib roasts for five years at 200 degrees. I haven't had any problems. This is what I do, once a year.

Dry the roast for 3 days, in the fridge, wrapped in paper towels. Change the towels each day and then remove from the fridge four hours before placing in the oven, at 200. (Well seasoned, of course)

Cook until the internal temp is 125. Remove and let the meat rest, wrapped and covered, until the internal temp is 132. (I like two layers of foil and a towel.)

While the meat is resting I turn the oven to 500 degrees. When the meat has reached 132, uncover and place in the oven to crust. As dark as you like.

A good cut of meat is essential, use nothing less than choice. This has worked for me every time!

I do have one question. I can never calculate my finish time. Any formula or table available? Thanks.
________
Ford Explorer Sport Trac Specifications

Last edited by nehrda on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ditto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had Prime Rib Roast for Christmas. It turned out perfect.

I placed it on a rack and cooked it at 325 degrees and allowed 30 minutes per pound.

The center was slightly rare. It was very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum