Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: African Horned Melon or Kiwano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bella17b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Kiwano Fruit Reply with quote

I just tried the Kiwano fruit, and thought that it didn't taste that bad. I put some sugar on it and actually thought it was pretty good. It has a refreshing taste to it.
kjhflkgj;

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: i love the horned melon Reply with quote

:lol
Well...I had some money and came across this fruit and thought I would try this fruit.So I took it home and cut it open.I had my dad try it and he said the same thing you said he would not have this fruit aging.but me on the other hand as he tasted it I smelt it, it smelt like grass.it had to be one of the best fruit I have ever had Wink
justinwarren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: good recommendation! Reply with quote

someone up above, from portugal, recommended this fruit to be tried with brown sugar. i just tried it like that, and highly enjoyed it! the taste IS like a kiwi crossed with a banana, and a bit of cucumber.

i received my kiwano as a gift. my fiance knows i'm always into trying new foods, especially interesting fruits. i'm glad I looked this one up before cutting it open, though!

when cut in half vertically, you can squeeze the seeds out easily, leaving the rind inside the fruit perfectly. i was a little eager to try it, so I just mixed some brown sugar in it and ate it like that. it was gelatinous, yes, but I quite enjoyed it. Smile
on-looker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: wow.... Reply with quote

There is a store close to my house called "Whole Foods"(don't know any location of it except in KY) that sells health food.I saw this peculiar fruit and decided to get it. We didn't know what it was and neither did the cashier. So he let us have it for FREE, now wasn't that nice. So when we got home we started to cut it open. I, personaly, liked it. Since then I've bought more of 'em. I just like to eat 'em plain(scoop out with a spoon) or put 'em in a salad. I get the same flavour you described, but more kiwi-ish.
cwintjen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: buddha's hand Reply with quote

I bought a horned melon today for my 8 year old son. He always wants to try new things and I encourage him to do so. It was blah, like amild tasting cuke. We did however see something the grocer told us was called a Buddha's hand. It looked like a bright yellow octopus with warts. The biggest one was more than 8 inched long. Needless to say my son wants to try it. At 6.99/lb I'd like to hear a review of it before I try it. Anyone ever tried one?
JOSEPH 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Horned Melon Reply with quote

Well, I just got one of these horned melons out of pure curiosity. From the reviews it doesn't seem like it'ss going to taste any good, but I have to try, I'll let ya know!! LOL!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: buddha's hand Reply with quote

cwintjen wrote:
We did however see something the grocer told us was called a Buddha's hand. It looked like a bright yellow octopus with warts. The biggest one was more than 8 inched long. Needless to say my son wants to try it. At 6.99/lb I'd like to hear a review of it before I try it. Anyone ever tried one?

I hadn't tasted one, but I did see them at my local grocery store. So I went in today to buy one and they weren't there! So, I asked my grocer about them and how they tasted - to which he responded, "oh, they're not for eating. It's placed on teh table as an ornament and for fragrance". I looked it up and this is more or less correct, but the fruit is sometimes used in cooking. The fruit is a citrus fruit and supposedly has a lemony flavor with a bitter rind. The zest is more often used than the flesh, but the flesh is sometimes used in salads. Other uses for the fruit are probably more creative.
SF Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: $5 boondoggle Reply with quote

Disbelief Unfortunately, I admitted to my wife that I paid $5 for this GD prickly piece of over-priced fruit. My 7-year-old daughter wanted to buy it and I've had fond memories of a Chamoya (with the luscious custard inside) eaten during a bender in Zaire 20 years ago. Almost bought one of those in Safeway this afternoon instead. The checker was impressed that i was willing to try something new; next time I'll buy a damn pineapple! Thanks to everyone for the commentary...I'm going to put it on the shelf and try to get the ornamental value out of it.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I saw a kiwano was at Wal-mart of all places. We bought it, and were quite shocked at the green interior.

Flavorwise it tasted like slimy, sour, cucumber seeds. If I was planning a romantic dinner I could find a use for it (like a serving bowl for some custard desert).
Salsero

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Kiwano or horned melon Reply with quote

The way to eat this melon is with fruit ice cream and vaniella milk or banana milk.

1. You get any fruit ice cream (something that has fruits e.g. pineapple, strawberry etc.)

2. Scoop the jelly like substance out of the melon and put into a glass.

3. Add ice cream of choice and then put a hit of vaniella milk or banana milk.

Mix it and enjoy...

Or scoop it out and just add sugar... Big smile

I buy these once a year, because this is the only time they are available to me.
tom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: wusses! Reply with quote

Man, what is wrong with you people?

You go to the grocery store, and you see a fruit that looks wacky and different from the fruits that you know and like. And you're shocked that it isn't like those fruits?

Open your mind, and your mouth. I bought one from the store, and cut it in half. First few bites were wierd, sure... but you get used to it. They're sweet, and have an interesting flavor.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: wusses! Reply with quote

tom wrote:
They're sweet, and have an interesting flavor.

Hmmm... the ones I tried definitely did not have any sweetness. Perhaps they weren't ripe. Anyone know if they ripen after being picked or only on the vine?
Kristi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: melon Reply with quote

I bought one of these a few days ago because I, like many others, was intrigued. Cut into it moments ago and was shocked. I think I expected flesh like a cactus pear. Instead, (I have not tasted) it smelled and felt like the inside of an aloe plant.

Went online for advice and found this site.

Not sure how brave I am about tasting.
veritable1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Kiwano First Timers Reply with quote

Gads! My two year leads our family in trying new things - she is very anxious to try this intriguing orange thing we got. Think I'll let her play with it a few more days (to ripen?!) and then give it a go... thanks to prior comment on "wusses"--- I agree! Anyone know what is considered "ripe"? Would hate to open it too late ($$!)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kiwano First Timers Reply with quote

veritable1 wrote:
Anyone know what is considered "ripe"? Would hate to open it too late ($$!)

So far, the info I've uncovered doesn't tell me when it reaches maximum ripeness, but apparently you'll want to store them at room temperature (65-75F) and NOT in the refrigerator. At room temperature it should be able to keep for three months while it'll only last a couple weeks at the low temperatures of a refrigerator. I wasn't able to find out if the sugar content increases as you wait or if it decreases...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: