Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kitchen Scales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plantfreek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re:person who asked for wh.wh.pie crust recipe by weight (11 Reply with quote

More and more baking cookbooks are going to the weight format as opposed to measurements or in addition to. One good example is Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Pie and Pastry Bible." She gives a basic flaky pie crust recipe by both weight and measurement and adds about 7-8 variations one of which is for adding whole wheat flour to the pie crust. It is as follows:

Basic Pastry for two crust 9 inch pie:

unsalted, cold butter 14 TB, 7 oz. 200 grams

pastry flour 2 1/4 cups+2 TB 11.25 oz 320 grams

all purpose bleached flour 2 1/4 cups(dip and sweep method)

salt 1/4+1/8 teaspoon

ice water 5 to 7 TB 2.6 to 3.6 oz 74 to 103 grams

cider vinegar 1 Tb 0.5 oz 14 grams

For whole wheat pastry she says to use 2/3 all purpose flour and one third whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour.

If you are looking for a good bread baking book that uses weight I would recommend Peter Reinhart's "The Breadbaker's Apprentice".
I have shelves and shelves full of cookbooks and all of my better, newer ones provide both weight and measurement recipes. I have found in my years as a baker/pastry chef/ etc that professionals prefer to use the weight method for it's accuracy and reliability. In much the same way science likes to repeat experiment after experiment, so do we prefer that we be able to repeat a bread or pie recipe over and over and over again. No fuss, no muss, no wondering if it's going to turn out well. Likewise, the public to whom we sell our products expects to get the same taste and texture time after time.

I love this site! I'm not an engineer so I hope it's okay that I use this site for reference and a good read:-)
Thanks
Bredbakker aka plantfreek Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an escali primo scale for just under $20 from my homebrew supplier. This scale appears to have the features you liked about the myweigh, for 60% less dough, pun intended Wink

I use it for many kitchen duties, including weighing hops and other kitchen ingredients like sugar and flour.

Love the website, keep up the good work!
otrpu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Was gonna ask Santa for one. . . Reply with quote

Got to looking around the cupboards a few days ago, found a Polder digital scale laying in one. Wifey hasn't got a clue where it came from. . .so it must of been me. What's the first sign of getting old? Great for getting all my buns to come out the same size.

Cheers,
OTRPU
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Was gonna ask Santa for one. . . Reply with quote

otrpu wrote:
Got to looking around the cupboards a few days ago, found a Polder digital scale laying in one. Wifey hasn't got a clue where it came from. . .so it must of been me. What's the first sign of getting old?
Cheers,
OTRPU

The wife of a much older friend of mine told me that the MIND is the SECOND thing to go!!!!!!!!!
butchay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: kitchen scales Reply with quote

Smile Just want to let you know I really love your site. Very informative and helpful. I am a baking enthusiast who turned a hobby to a home business venture. I can surely depend on you for delicious recipes and everything about baking. Thanks a million!
gr8buns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Liquid Kitchen Scales question Reply with quote

I have noticed a couple foodscales out there that have a liquid conversion button. If they don't accomodate for different liquids other than water...i.e. honey, oil and such, how accurate are they? Wont they mess my recipes all up?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure your liquids volumetrically. You are right. All those liquids have different densities and that scale, with conversions will mess up your recipes.
aseim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: MY Weigh kd7000 Reply with quote

I recently purchased the my weigh kd7000 from amazon for $42. I had to return it because it was very inaccurate. I would put a bowl on it and zero it out, but if i took it off and put it right back on it would never be the same weight. It was probably only accurate to +- .5 ounce, much less accurate than measuring cups.
I then ordered the Escali L3000 from amazon for $55. It is perfect, it is accurate to .5 gram and has adjustable feet and a bubble level. It only will weigh 3kg, less than half of what the kd7000 will weigh, but it is dead on accurate.

Adam
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inexpensive scale (one under a few hundred dollars) will not be accurate and precise and have a large weight capacity. In the $50 range, a decent scale will usually only weigh a few pounds and give good readings.

I think 3 Kg of food is a lot to weigh at one time--it's more than a food store sized sack of flour or sugar and is certainly more of anything you'd add to a baking recipe at one time. Unless you are weighing a large roast or a big bird, which you probably know the weight of anyway, you don't need a large capacity on a food scale for cooking ingredients.
htom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: MyWeigh kd7000 Reply with quote

I put Old Will Knott Scales into my daily webcomics folder and watched for the KD7000 to be on sale. I think it was $us35 with shipping. Great service from OWKScales, and a great product.

It's not perfect. When I started, if I was careless, I put the heavy plastic protection plate up when I changed modes or tare and blocked movement of the platform. Haven't done that after the first week or so.

It would be a bit more useful if the minimum was 0.1 gram or 0.01 gram, for measuring very small quantities of some things (yeast or powdered spices, for example.) I'm going to buy one of their smaller scales that does this.

The 7kg / 15 pound maximum is very handy as I use a lot of cast iron and ceramic bakeware, and I don't have to worry about putting a gallon of something, and the pot holding it, on the scale.

All in all, very happy with it.

(cute captcha variation; I hope it works.)
Barry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: conversions Reply with quote

Just for reference, google will give you a quick conversion:
Typing something like "cup to oz" will return:
"1 US cup = 8 US fluid ounces"

Or even typing "1/2 cup to teaspoon" returns:
"(1/2) US cup = 24 US teaspoons"

Even does the "peck to bushels" conversion:
"1 US peck = 0.25 US bushels"

More info:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/features.html#calculator
murky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: don't get the hemp version Reply with quote

If you get the MyWeigh I'd advise against the hemp version.

Its plastic doesn't seem to have molded well. I've never seen the regular plastic version but I can't believe it comes out as poorly. More likely they use the same injection molds for the hemp material even though it has different material properties like shrink rate.

The batteries seem ever poised to spring out and one of rubber feet fell out and disappeared.
PoGa

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: hemp version Reply with quote

Yes! Absolutely DO NOT get the hemp version.
Mine arrived this past week (the i5000) and it's being sent back. It's just like the other poster described: the plastic around the digital screen is bulging off, three of the five pads on the bottom of the scale were m.i.a. upon arrival, the batteries refused to stay in place (kept popping out as I was trying to install them), and -- worse still -- the scale wouldn't even turn on. The dealer was apologetic and mentioned in her reply that one out of every 50 of these models are defective.
SarahCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: iWay 5000 Hemp Reply with quote

I read Michael's review, called OWK and ordered the hemp version because for the same price, I figured I'd be environmentally responsible. I had no problems with the unit and it was designed intuitively (I especially like the display back light coming on when the weight changes from zero), works well and appears accurate. My bread recipes are much better since I weigh the dry ingredients, as do our apparently more enlightened European cooks. Big smile
hah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Conversions Reply with quote

Well, I'm just an analytical chemist, not an engineer. However, my favorite website for converting units from what some idiot field sampler chose to put his measurements in to what the data sheets clearly state to use also has a section for converting cooking amounts for various ingredients back & forth from various weight & volume units.

It's very easy to use:

http://onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: