Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source for canned bacon ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Source for canned bacon ?? Reply with quote

Great forum. I've been lurking for a bit, and signed up this morning.
To my knowledge, there are 2 brands of canned bacon out there somewhere....tulip, and celebrity. Celebrity, I believe is marketted out of NJ, and tulip is from Denmark.
Other forums with others posing the question are met with either blank cyber-stares, or some outdated, useless reference to a store somewhere in some state, that are a waste of good bandwidth.
Thanks for any legitimate leads, and stores carrying this product.
Best, KD
jimjimjim9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite possible that bacon canned in cylindrical steel cans is a thing of the past, as retort packaging technologies and foil/plastic laminates have been developed. References to "the can" are based on fond memories (including mine) of the product. Sailors and backpackers refer to it, but mostly in memory, and never seem to provide a present day source.

DAK and Plumrose used to distribute in the USA up thru the 1960's. Those two companies, along with Tulip and Celebrity, are all subsidiaries of Crown Danish. CD has an english website at its British division:
http://www.danishcrown.com/

The tulip website bacon pages shows no cans:
http://english.tulip.dk/Consumers/Products/Range/TULIP+Bacon.htm

It's possible that contacting those two leads could answer finally whether canned bacon is available, and if so how to procure it.

Let us know what they say.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend: Google

Sailors who make long passages still look for lots of canned meats and other foods. I think outback campers do as well.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I know I have seen it. It was in the stores in Bermuda when I went through there in June. I think I saw it at Tesco in Plymouth in May. It's still out there.
Ken D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks.....I tried google, using canned&bacon, and came up dry, as was "canned bacon", and canned bacon.
I'll search the way it's linked here. Best, KD
PS: I presume Tesco is in JOE ? Not the other plymouth in America?
I'm hoping for a North American source, as I'm north of 49.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hunt big game much any more (too old and pussified).... but I have very fond memories, of canned bacon. Our hunting camp was located way high up in the heavens, and in the summer, we used to hike our canned foods up to our make-shift-camp and bury them in the dirt, and chop our fire wood (which would become like a 5-star hotel from a relative perspective, complete with a wood stove, and poker table), and live like big kings during the short winter hunting season.

Ain't nothing like that "fresh" salty flavor of canned bacon on a hot iron pan in sub-freezing weather!

*sniff*.... makes me shed a few tears!

... and the smell of hot iron and black coffee in the morning.
opqdan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that canned bacon has pretty much been replaced with previously cooked and refridgerated, or even airtight room temperature packaging.

Once in a while when searching for backpacking food, I will find previously cooked and packaged bacon (similar to the pouches that are being used for tuna now). Personally, I see this as an awesome development as cans are the absolute last thing that I want to take backpacking with me.

I haven't purchased any yet, but if it follows the style of other previously canned meats that moved to pouches (tuna, chicken, etc), then it should probably be much better than the canned version.

I think it might be made by Tyson... maybe.
kim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Auspicious,

are you an engineer? do you travel for your job? if so, who do you work for and what in general do you do? i am graduating college soon and would love to have a job where i could travel frequently but haven't come across anything like that.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
hey Auspicious,

are you an engineer? do you travel for your job? if so, who do you work for and what in general do you do? i am graduating college soon and would love to have a job where i could travel frequently but haven't come across anything like that.

yes, sometimes, varied career.

In my experience people who travel a lot, including internationally, work for big consulting companies (like PWC and Bearing Point), some USG agencies (intel community, State, parts of Commerce), some academics, multi-national corporations, and state and federal elected officials. There are exceptions of course. If you are an engineer, you might try connecting with IAESTE and see if they can hook you up.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> [ "fresh engineering graduate looking for travel" ]

Navy. Coast Guard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: "new" canned bacon Reply with quote

if anyone is still looking:

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-364/Yoder%E2%80%99s-Celebrity-Canned-Bacon/Detail

Not like the Dak stuff, this is pre-cooked
yenndee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 7 days too long to spend in Malta for a solo traveller/ Backpacker in May?
Very broad question, I know... but my tour out of Rome was postponed and i have about two weeks to fill on a pretty limited budget. Any help very much appriciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum