Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing bread dough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opqdan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Freezing bread dough? Reply with quote

I finally got a stand mixer that I can use to knead my bread dough, so I have entered the wonderfull world of making my own bread.

I was wondering whether I can freeze the dough at some point and then thaw and cook it later. Obviously, this is somehow possible, as I can go to the store and buy frozen bread dough, but at what point in the process do I freeze, and what are the steps for thawing?

From what a Google search tells me, it looks like I should let it rise, "punch" it down, and shape it, then freeze at this point. Is this probably the best way to do it?

When removing the dough from the freezer, should I let it thaw in the refridgerator in order to retard a second rise until the whole thing is thawed? I worry that setting out the frozen bread will cause a weird second rise as the bread will still be frozen in the center when the outside wakes up.

Along the same lines, what about the yeast? Freezing shouldn't really kill them all (I've frozen brewers yeast before, and it still fermented), so figure I should be fine in that area, but do I need to use active dry, or is instand or rapid rise okay?

I figure I could easily do a couple experiments to find out, but I want to know if any of you guys/gals freeze your bread dough.

Thank you.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Freezing is easy Reply with quote

I have frozen bread dough many times. I put it in a plastic zip lock and squeeze the air out. I use a big enough bag so that it can expand - sometimes the dough continues to rise very, very slowly even though its in the freezer, or subsequently the fridge.
I usually make dough for pizza, and freeze it before letting it do a full first rise.
Then I only rise it once, since like I said I am doing pizza.
otrpu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: When freezing dough. . . Reply with quote

I usually spray cooking oil in the bag. Makes for a less sticky situation after thawing.

Cheers,
OTRPU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum