Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Yom gai

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hijakk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Tom Yom gai Reply with quote

2 Giant cans of chicken broth
15 or so dried japanese chilies
2 stalks of lemon grass, bruised, 1 inch pieces
5 inches of ginger root, cut into large (1") chunks, peeled.
zest of 3 limes
juice of 6 limes
1 tbsp of sugar
6 tbsp of Thai fish sauce
1 can of straw mushrooms, drained, cut in half
3 chicken breasts, sliced .5"

Put everything down to the lime zest down in the pot before turning on heat, and bring to slight boil. Add everything else, keep at medium for 10-15 minutes.

This yields a very lime-y soup, which both my girlfriend and I like, but less lime juice would be fine. I would prefer to use fresh thai chili peppers, about 10, but they wern't available. Thai chili oil may also be appropriate.

Here it is in the pot

Here it is in the bowl

This is a cheap recipe too, I paid $3.00 for the lemon grass, which was basically the most expensive thing in the soup. In terms of consumables, say $5 for all the stock, $3 for the lemon grass, $4 for the chicken, less than $1 for the ginger, a dollar or two for the limes, a dollar for the mushrooms. The fish sauce and chilies are cheap, about a dollar each, and will last you through many soup sessions.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: No coconut milk? Reply with quote

I have had what I think was Tom Yum Gai at Thai restaurants, and it had a coconut based broth. (am I mistaking the name?)
It totally knocked my socks off, I thought it was just about the yummiest new flavor I have ever had.
I have always wondered how properly to use lemon grass. It's very fibrous, and I wonder if it is the type of ingredient you should add at the very end of cooking to keep it from degrading, like basil, or if you should let it stew to develop the flavor. (I wonder the same about cumin)
On a side note, I have learned that if you find lemon grass in the market that has a bit of root still attached to the bottom, you can put it in a glass with about a quarter inch of water, and it will root. (any more water and mildew will appear). Once it is rooted you can transplant it into earth. I have grown it in house and in my garden for years using this method - it can be hard to find at garden stores, or in grocery stores.
anxiousmofo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: tom yum Reply with quote

Tom kah is the coconut milk based soup.
The Tom Yum is usually made with a roasted chili paste as a base, and uses galangal instead of ginger....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum