Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split Cutting Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Split Cutting Board Reply with quote

I hope you can shed some light on my problem. I purchased a Boos cutting board at the beginning of last October. It's a beautiful end-grain and my first Boos product. I was very impressed with the quality and the company's reputation. Well, just after having it here five weeks, it developed a split/crack about 2" long literally overnight. I couldn't believe it. I called Boos, they requested pictures, which I sent. I had oiled the board with mineral oil immediately after receiving it and again about two weeks later. I don't own a dishwasher, so it wasn't subjected to extreme heat or moisture. I'm really upset...! Should I get an edge-grain board instead?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Split Cutting Board Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I hope you can shed some light on my problem. I purchased a Boos cutting board at the beginning of last October. It's a beautiful end-grain and my first Boos product. I was very impressed with the quality and the company's reputation. Well, just after having it here five weeks, it developed a split/crack about 2" long literally overnight. I couldn't believe it. I called Boos, they requested pictures, which I sent. I had oiled the board with mineral oil immediately after receiving it and again about two weeks later. I don't own a dishwasher, so it wasn't subjected to extreme heat or moisture. I'm really upset...! Should I get an edge-grain board instead?

Hi,

Well, that sucks. Boos will most certainly make good on your purchase. Remember, you're dealing with a natural product, these things can happen.
While an edge grained board is more durable, expensive and pretty looking. Your boos block should last a lifetime if cared for.
If you don't get satisfaction from Boos (you surely will though), contact me through this board some how. The company I've worked for during the last 16 years makes world class glues for exotic hardwoods on boats. I'll send you some for free and we can work out a process to get your board glued back up and ready for action.

Biggles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it sure does suck. Especially since I can be real anal about buying stuff and want the best I can afford. I saw time and time again that Boos is the best. And what's worse, the split has now increased to 3.5"! I know I'm oiling it enough (it got oiled again last week) because I'll find oil on my counter top for three days after. Sigh.

Am I misreading your post, DrBiggles? You said an "edge-grain" is more durable...I purchased an END grain because I got the impression THAT was more durable - and better for my knives. Again, should I get the edge grain instead of the end grain?

To top it all off, I still haven't heard a word from Boos. Last. Tues. I left the customer service rep I oringinally dealt with/sent my first set of pics to a voice mail, no return call. I sent them another picture yesterday of the increased split and expressed my dissapointment in their lack of giving me some sort of reply. I'd just like to know why it happened, too. I'm guessing the board was in inventory too long and I received it dry to begin with. Then the FedEx guy probably threw it onto my concrete front porch...

And your offer for some exceptional glue is sincerely appreciated! We'll see what happens - I really fell in love with my Boos board, it's the perfect size for me/my kitchen. I thought I had something that was going to last me forever - I was SO tired of buying cheaper wood boards only to have them crack or warp. Never thought it would happen to a Boos.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Yep, it sure does suck. Especially since I can be real anal about buying stuff and want the best I can afford. I saw time and time again that Boos is the best. And what's worse, the split has now increased to 3.5"! I know I'm oiling it enough (it got oiled again last week) because I'll find oil on my counter top for three days after. Sigh.

The oil doesn't help when your wood is that badly splitting. There's only so much you can do, wood will do what it wants to in the end.

Am I misreading your post, DrBiggles? You said an "edge-grain" is more durable...I purchased an END grain because I got the impression THAT was more durable - and better for my knives. Again, should I get the edge grain instead of the end grain?

MY MISTAKE. Dang I goofed that one. Please replace "edge" with end. Sorry for the confusion.

To top it all off, I still haven't heard a word from Boos. Last. Tues. I left the customer service rep I oringinally dealt with/sent my first set of pics to a voice mail, no return call. I sent them another picture yesterday of the increased split and expressed my dissapointment in their lack of giving me some sort of reply. I'd just like to know why it happened, too. I'm guessing the board was in inventory too long and I received it dry to begin with. Then the FedEx guy probably threw it onto my concrete front porch...

And your offer for some exceptional glue is sincerely appreciated! We'll see what happens - I really fell in love with my Boos board, it's the perfect size for me/my kitchen. I thought I had something that was going to last me forever - I was SO tired of buying cheaper wood boards only to have them crack or warp. Never thought it would happen to a Boos.

It's tough to know from here what went wrong. I know they must use kiln dried wood, but that can still have a moisture content of 15%. The only way to do better is to buy that wood and let it sit in a dry, cool space for 8 months to a year to bring that down to 6-8%. Only then are you pretty damned sure to have a good solid & reliable piece.

If it's failed on a glue line, the glue failed. Epoxy glues like to have a fair amount of glue in the seam. Starve the glue joint (too much clamping pressure) and when stressed enough, it'll pop. Maybe they switched glues trying to save some money? It does happen. What most people don't understand is that those hard/oily woods are very difficult to glue together and have it stay stuck when put under adverse conditions. Maple, oak, teak, ipe, you get the idea.

But it's Boos! Keep after 'em, don't let them get away.

Biggles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Boos came thru. Last Friday I received an e-mail from my customer service rep first apologizing for not responding as she had been out of the office. Then a short time later, another e-mail from the same rep stating I'll be getting a new board (actually, I suppose, it's really a block, duh), from Chef Depot, the place I ordered from to begin with. I wrote back thanking her and I'm happy with this resolution. I'm not under the impression that I have to send the split block back. I did suggest that Boos ask Chef Depot to at least wrap my new board in bubble wrap...can't hurt, right?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Well, Boos came thru. Last Friday I received an e-mail from my customer service rep first apologizing for not responding as she had been out of the office. Then a short time later, another e-mail from the same rep stating I'll be getting a new board (actually, I suppose, it's really a block, duh), from Chef Depot, the place I ordered from to begin with. I wrote back thanking her and I'm happy with this resolution. I'm not under the impression that I have to send the split block back. I did suggest that Boos ask Chef Depot to at least wrap my new board in bubble wrap...can't hurt, right?

Certainly can't hurt and that's great news.

If the board wasn't defective, it should be able to take a damned load of abuse before it splits like that. Surely the next block will be fine.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum