Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food additives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Food additives Reply with quote

Michael,
I would love to see an article on common food additives, preservatives and how they effect the flavor and healthiness of foods-especially ones that are not commonly heard about. A recent poster suggested that sodium tripolyphosphate may be giving my scallops a bitter taste. Though I generally accept the idea that meat and seafood are processed using agents to preserve both their freshness, and the appearance of freshness, I know nothing of what those agents are, and why they are in use.
I remember being told that oranges were "gassed" to make them look more orange and ripe. There was always something ominous about that idea, though of course it could just be an anti-chemical sort of fear not necessarily reflecting a health risk.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for starters, many of your foods that have red food coloring comes from zillions of crushed beetles (beetlejuice), and the FDA does not require this to be disclosed. I don't necessesarliy have a problem with this, but if you are a vegetarian, or concerned about "kosher" foods.... then knowing you are eating crushed beetle bugs (specifically cochineal beetles and their eggs), may be important.

So, for example, the next time you dig any red colored Yoplait yogurts, or Hershey good & plenty candies, or Tropicana grapefruit juice, and/or many others.... just know your drinking beetlejuice!

Got milk... er... beetle guts?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltonyo, I always like your posts. Do you mean that in Tropicana grapefruit juice that they don't need to say it has red coloring, or they don't need to say it comes from beetlejuice? I'd check my fridge, but I don't have any of their (I guess you mean Ruby Red) grapefruit juice at the moment. As far as being Kosher is concerned, if the red came from an ainimal product, the container would NOT be permitted to have the "Pareve" seal (the "U" with the "O" around it) designating there were no meat or dairy products in it.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Carmine Reply with quote

ElTonyo, thanks for that interesting fact. I wiki'd and found this:
Carmine also called Crimson Lake, Cochineal, Natural Red 4, C.I. 75470 or E120, is a pigment of a bright red color obtained from the carminic acid produced by the cochineal insect, and is used as a general term for a particularly deep red color. Carmine is used in the manufacture of artificial flowers, paints, rouge, cosmetics, food additives, and crimson ink.
Carmine is used as a food dye in many different products such as juice, ice cream, yogurt, and candies, eyeshadow, lipstick, etc. Although principally a red dye, it is found in many foods that are shades of red, pink, and purple. As a food dye it has been known to cause severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock in some people.....Food industries were aggressively opposed to the idea of writing "insect based" on the label and they finally agreed to simply putting "carmine". Food products containing carmine-based food dye may concern groups whose members are allergic to it or who do not consume any or certain animals, such as vegetarians, vegans, and religions with dietary law (e.g. kashrut in Judaism and halaal in Islam), and those who simply do not want to eat insects.
roofermike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how disgusting. sometimes its better to not know ingredients.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the most unappealing aspect about eating insects was on a public television nouvelle cuisine cooking show about 15 years ago. (Some things you do not forget.) It seemed this couple enjoyed sauteed grasshoppers, but they disagreed on how they should be prepared. The wife liked the grasshopper whole, but the husband preferred them with the wings removed because they always got caught between his teeth!!!
eltonyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...yep...yep.... it ain't fiction folks. the american indians knew about this "beetle juice dye" since time-antiquity. we kinda stole their 'patent' on how to paint your face "red" in war time.... and colored our food products with it... cuz everybody luvs a nice ruby-red strawberry color!!!!!!

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.htm

nobody in a "fictional" mindset, could even dream up this "reality" we american's actually live in.

but it's true. all true.

... ad infintum ad nauseam

and don't even get me started.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum