Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: chicken pot pie Reply with quote

I made this recipe the other night, and all I can say is this is the best chicken pot pie recipe I have found to date. I did leave the nutmeg out, by accientident. [but Freud says nothing is a mistake Smile] Well no matter what I did not miss it, and it came out delicious... One complaint I had was my celery was still crispy in the end, but not a big deal, I just probably did not sàute it long enough...

I also made the basic biscuit crust. So easy.

Good call! Good recipe! Flavorful gravy! I was going to omit the sherry, good thing I didn't, I think it gives it that little kick it needs. Thanks for the delicious recipe!
insertBillHere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Recipe Correction, Mods Reply with quote

Great recipe! I was so glad to find a recipe for "clueful" adults, that is to say, one that doesn't require cans of creamed soup! And boy, was it delicious.

One problem I had with the recipe was, the roux). The recipe calls for a half-stick of butter, and a half-cup of flour. The problem is, a roux is generally equal amounts of butter and flour. As I was making the recipe, I had melted the butter, and was gradually stirring flour, when I discovered half of my flour was left over, and the butter was completely used up. A quick check of the ingredients (and the label on the stick of butter) revealed that a half-stick of butter is 4 tablespoons, while a half-cup of flour is 8 tablespoons. To make a long story short, I added another half-stick of butter, whisked in the other half of the flour, and - voilà - no lumps!

We "toyed with" the recipe while making it. Here are our "mods" to the recipe.

• If you don't have sherry, any (preferably sweet) red wine will do. I used an open bottle of Chianti, and the result was just fine.
  • My wife peeled and cubed two large russet potatoes, then boiled them for ten minutes. Rinsed under cold water to stop them cooking, then added to the pot with everything else.
  • Nobody felt like sautéing the onions, but we had some pearl onions in the freezer. A full cup of those was a bit much; I would suggest less. All the veggies were rinsed under cold water to thaw, then drained.
Jeremy in Mich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Real chicken pot pie or turkey pot pie!!? MMMM Reply with quote

I like what I see under this recipe however it seems a bit more like creamed chicken pie than real chicken pot pie... Let me tell you, you have NOT tasted chicken pot pie unless you have made it from a recenetly home roasted chicken and homemade chicken stock. period.

Its real simple if you have just roasted a chicken that day before. make sure you keep the gibblets and make a about 2 to 4 cups of chicken/vegitable stock buy simmering the gibblets, water, a whole onion, 2 pieces pf celery and a couple whole carrots and a quartered potato and a table spoon of oil. season with a 1/2 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper, simmer for at least 3 hours.

When you roast the chicken ( i recommend that you stuff the chicken), make sure you can save the fat in the bottom of the pan. this is GOLD. put it in the refrigerator or freeze it until your ready to make the pot pie (this is the "butter" in the above recipe) you should have about a 1/4 cup of it or more.

eat some of your chicken roast... then wtih waht you didnt eat take all the meat you can possible get out of the chicken, tare it apart and get every ounce of (red) meat (MMM MMM) that you can out of that chicken and use it for your pot pie.

if you did this the day before, your all set to start making your pot pie.
follow the directions above to make you pot pie except that it is even simpler than described above. no need to saute the vegitables separetly.

Just heat the chicken fat in a large pot, until it starts to sizzle, then add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour to make your roue. (you could add more flour if you want it thick, but pot pie shouldnt really be that thick) as the flour starts to brown slowly start to add your chicken stock that you made the day before keep stiring in about half the stock and bring to a boil. Add your baked chicken scraps and bring to a boil. Add 2 cups diced potatoes, 1 cup chopped carrots, and 1 cup chopped onion, 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon peeper and about 1/2 teaspoon thyme add the rest of the chicken stock and about 1/2 cup of frozen peas... and bring to a boil quickly. As soon you've brought it to a boil your done on the stove top, DONTCOOK the veggies just heat them to a boil. pour the mixture in a baking dish and cover with pie crust or you favorite topping, bread crums work, crummbled potato chips or flat bisuits (i.e. pie crust molded into flat rounds) and place in the over at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until the top turns brown... the whole dish should be bubbling when you pull it out. let cool for 10 minutes.

This is the recipe my Dad always made and especially with left over thanksgiving turkey, which makes it taste TWICE as good as with chicken.

There is NO way that you could get the same taste with canned chicken broth and butter.. Canned chicken broth has MSG added (yuck) and you cant duplicate the taske of chicken fat... believe me I've tried to make pot pie without and it just doenst work... IF you use all the incredients from scratch the taste is just so addictive you will never go back.

This is not a rant against this site or the above recipe, but you have to do a little work to get the most out of your food. BTW I just love this site and I am an Electrical engineer and 26 years old.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: White Sauce Reply with quote

Way back there an anonymous poster has a problem with the sauce. What is called for is a basic white sauce, which is easy to make, and also easy to ruin. It is also the mother of many other sauces. Patience is the key. The butter and flour will form a crumbly paste when first combined. The trick is to add the liquid very gradually maintaining a very low heat on the pan. At first, dribble small amounts of the milk or stock into the roux and whisk together until the liquid absorbs. In the beginning it will seem like the liquid is just evaporating off. Continue to drizzle the liquid and whisk until the mixture becomes more sticky and spreadable. At all points the texture should become uniform before more liquid is added.As you continue, you will be able to pour more volume in with out lumps. After a few minutes of patient addition, the sauce will reach a point where it is thick but no longer a paste, whisking it will seperate the sauce where the whisk has been, but there will be no clumps. Then you can usually dump the remainder of the stock and/or milk in without problem.
I usually add the raw flour to the pan first, shaking the pan and stirring to toast the flour. When it is a bit beige/colored I then add the butter.
acsparrow@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: roast the chicken Reply with quote

Thanks to "Jeremy from Mich" for the directions on making this with a roasted chicken. I tried that last night, and it was absolutely delicious. I always make chicken stock after roasting a chicken -- the real stuff just isn't available in stores, and it's a great way to use up the veggies that are languishing away in the fridge. I'm trying (but not always succeeding) in cutting calories, so instead of a pie crust topping, I used reduced fat crescent rolls purchased from the buscuit section of the grocery store, and topped with a breadcrumb/parmesean/rosemary mixture that I had left over from Christmas dinner. Wonderful.

By the way, roasting a chicken is easy. Just take out the neck and giblets from the cavity (save those for making broth), place in a roasting pan (or better yet, a vertical roaster with beer in the container that goes into the cavity), stick a roasting thermometer in the thigh joint, and cook at 350 until the temperature reaches 180 degrees. Most books say to cook to 170 degrees, but I've had "underdone" experiences with this and prefer to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have a need today to make chicken pot pie!!!! why?? because its 15 below 0,out were i am, and i need to make and eat yummy chicken pot pie today! im gonna use your recipe and when its done and ate i will let you know it was.......i have a feelig its goona be yummy! thanks

from someone who cooks
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Doubling the recipe! Reply with quote

I made this recipe last night for my 4 hungry roommates and myself. I knew that we normally consume about three pounds of meat per evening meal, so I doubled the recipe (including doubling the amount of biscuit dough topping), and I must say, it turned out well. I had to use two baking dishes, so I wish that I would've made the crust a bit thinner (I had to make up a partial batch of biscuits at the end in order to cover the last corner of the one dish), but other than that, everything went pretty smoothly.

Make sure to season your chicken as you cook it--I found this to be a good way to make this dish even tastier.
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Use Cambells Soup, Pilsbury pie crust Reply with quote

This version sounds great, but I find an easier alternative is using Cambells cream of chicken soup. Im sure its not quite as tasty, but its easier, and better if you have problems digesting milk.

Chicken, Carrots, Celery, and Onions. Chop into bite size pcs, mix together with chicken soup (undlluted), and add to a Pilsbury pie crust - topped with another pie crust (sort of flip one over and remove the metal tin. (They come in packs of two). Bake for an hour at 350.
I will add some chicken broth next time, I bet that helps a lot.
No question one of our favorites.

Dittos on the great website
LX3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Chicken pot pie Reply with quote

I don't like the taste of sherry in food. Can I just leave it out or do I need to replace it with something else? Any suggestions
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken pot pie Reply with quote

LX3 wrote:
I don't like the taste of sherry in food. Can I just leave it out or do I need to replace it with something else? Any suggestions

If you don't like that taste, then you can just leave it out. If you find the flavor too bland, you may want to step up some other flavoring - salt, pepper, lemon juice, or something new.
RobinG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Yum Reply with quote

I just finished eating some of the chicken pot pie I made with your recipe. Yum! If you think of pot pie as a way to use leftovers, it works wonderfully, as mentioned by some earlier posts.

I used the chicken I had roasted yesterday. When adding vegetables I included the leftover greenbeans and diced the roasted potatoes. There was even a few tablespoons of gravy from yesterday and I added that to the mix. Didn't have sherry so I used some white wine. I know there are some PotPie purists out there and my interpretation may not qualify, but it sure did taste good and solve the leftover problem!

Really enjoy your website. The recipes have worked out well for me!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: comment Reply with quote

:

I can't understand why all of the "anonymous" people that have something negative to say don't have the nerve to add their real name.

Kathy Grimm
desh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: chicken pot pie Reply with quote

I made your recipe for my son today, and it looks too pretty to eat! In between the bisciuts I put strips of pie crust to fill in the space. So we all get what we want on top of the the chicken pot pie. Thanks for the recipe! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Chicken Pot Pie recipe Reply with quote

I chanced upon this site when looking for a simple (crescent roll-dependent) CPP recipe and holy wow this is great. The instructions (with pics for visual learners like myself) were methodological and simple to follow - genius!
hagar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

I just wanted to know the biscuit crust is only on top or it also on bottom like first curst then filling then again curst?The recpie looks very tempting and i want to make it very soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: