Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roofermike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: will trade Reply with quote

Your cooking advice for my home improvement advice. Im a moron in the kitchen, but I gained $50,000 in sweat equity on my home in a declining real estate market with ease and very little invested in only three months. I grew up in foster homes, moving from home to home my whole life so cooking and family weren't something I was exposed to. As I said in my first post, I can't even cook an egg. Problem is, I have two kids and eating out every night sucks up that $50,000 we made faster than you would believe. Not only do I need help with cooking, I need help with shopping and preparing. I need to be taught like I'm 8 years old.
SusanHarper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry!

In a little time you will be a great chef Smile

Best regards

Susan
roofermike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your vote of confidence, I wish I was that confident in myself. Actually, I'm getting better already, I just never realized how much work things were that don't come in packages. Obviously, the cooking is easy and demands little attention, but the prep takes forever and I feel like I do a million dishes.

So far since these posts, I've made tuna casserole, stuffed peppers, Chinese beef and broccoli, and a pasta salad all with positive feedback and without all the sodium that packaged food usually has. I cant say it was cheaper than eating out though. Theres like a million different spices out there and these things run sometimes 8 bucks each, times 3 spices often, theyre like a mini investment!
socal_chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation for a good start:

Food Network

30 Minute Meals with Rachel Ray
or
Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee

those are both awesome shows with super easy to make meals that usually taste pretty good and are healthy.

Alton Brown is my favorite, because his show is both entertaining and educational. I love learning the science behind food and cooking. His show is called "Good Eats".

I would say I've learned up to 50% of all my cooking ability from Food TV or other cooking shows.

***edit***
Also..look for your spices in the little plastic bags or go to a store with bulk spices and buy them in bags. I keep most of my spices in zip-locks with labels on them.

If you can get your hands on a TiVo or your cable company offers a DVR for a few extra bucks a month...that's an awesome way to watch a cooking show and pause while you prep something.

Good luck!
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Hey roofer Reply with quote

Penzy's is a good source for fresh and affordable spices. You can get them in bags, saves on the cost. (online)
I admire your efforts here! To my mind the secret to good cooking is to pay attention. Experiment, fail, learn. I have made some great dishes, and some REALLY REALLY awful ones, so bad all I could do is laugh and throw it away. I am famous for my "fish frappe", a concoction I made trying to reproduce a tamara salata that we used to get at a greek restaurant. It was miserably vile, and I am still remembered for it. Though now I know how to make a good tamara salata.
It's not just about saving money on food, it's about teaching your kids to cook, to eat, and giving them good nutrition. It's also about teaching them to learn, and to tackle new tasks. And spending time with them.
Thats my Hallmark moment for today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum