Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solstice & Equinox Cookies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Solstice & Equinox Cookies Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good recipe for New York Deli "Black and White" cookies? I have never had much success with this and the web sources have not yielded acceptable recipes.

In our family, we make the cookies on the equinoxes (with equal chocolate and white icing) and on the summer solstice (more white than chocolate) and the winter solstice (more chocolate than white).

What I am looking for is a tasty cookie along with a soft but "skinned" icing and a good technique to turn out consistent results.

Michael, are you up to the challenge?
Gabrielle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: B&W Cookie Reply with quote

Hi! I have tried many recipes as well, and none come close. However, I do have one that with a little "tweaking" might work. It tasted correct, however, the batter was a bit to runny and the cookie came out much to thin. It is from the cookbook The All-American Cookie Book. I will look for it for you and post it as soon as I find it.
Gabrielle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

Here it is ~ I made it once. Taste is great, but the batter was a bit runny and therefore the cookie quite thinner than I like... depending on your climate/location maybe chill dough a little while or add a bit more flour. You might considered using cake flour instead. I think it is the "trick" no one wants to tell you about. Let me know how they come!

Preheat overn 350F - spray cookie sheets w/non-stick spray.

3 cups flour
3/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
Stir together and set aside.
1 1/3cup sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 cup Crisco
Combine in mixer - medium speed - 2 minutes or until fluffy.
2 large eggs
2 1/2 t vanilla
2 t light corn syrup
3/4 t lemon extract
Add to butter mixture.
Add half of the flour mixture.
1/3 cup sour cream
Add on low speed.
Add remaining flour mixture. Mix until just blended.
Let stand 5 minutes

Use 1/4 cup to scoop batter out. Form into balls. Place on sheet and pat down to about 3" diameter cookies. Cook 14 minutes.

Icing/Fondant
Bring 1/4cup light corn syrup + 1/2 cup H2O to a boil over medium heat.
Remove from heat and add 5 cups powdered sugar + 3/4t vanilla.

Place 2oz unsweetened chocolate in another bowl. Pour 2/3 cup of the hot vanilla icing mixture over chocolate and stir.

[/u]
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe Reply with quote

Gabrielle wrote:
Here it is ~ I made it once. Taste is great, but the batter was a bit runny and therefore the cookie quite thinner than I like... depending on your climate/location maybe chill dough a little while or add a bit more flour. You might considered using cake flour instead. I think it is the "trick" no one wants to tell you about. Let me know how they come!

That looks promising and I just happen to have some cake flour that needs to be used up. I will let you know how I fare, thanks!
Gabrielle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make the cookies? Were they what you wanted?
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Yes and no, like black and white. Reply with quote

Gabrielle wrote:
Did you make the cookies? Were they what you wanted?

We made the cookies and the cake part turned out great, but I was not happy with the icing. Next time I will either go for a cooked icing or for one made with meringue powder. What I want is a shiny, sort of gooey icing--I haven't yet acheived that. The solstice is coming up, I will try again then. From now on, however, the cookie part is decided. BTW, use cake flour, it makes the difference. Also, you ice the bottom of the cookie, not the rounded top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum