Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: African Horned Melon or Kiwano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Addie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: But WE liked it Reply with quote

I cut into mine this morning and was a little shocked at the colour 8) didn't expect green!!! Teasing I kinda liked the flavour and my parrotlet loved the seeds Smile- a great combination. I gave him the seeds that escaped and sucked up the rest, admittedly without chewing much. Wink My recommendation - give it a try...

PS: I only paid $1.65 CDN for it so I think I got a great deal!!! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: We grow and sell Kiwano/"horned fruit" Reply with quote

http://www.incagoldbrand.com/fruitboxes/index.htm

Our company, Artistic Farms (a.k.a. Inca Gold Brand) is probably the single largest grower/producer of Kiwano/"horned fruit" on the planet. We maintain lands and offices in Washington state and Chile, South America. We have patented the term "Cuke-asaurus" for the Amazonian strain of this fruit (in South America it is most commonly referred as "the fruit of paradise"). We sell our fruit in bulk and "gift boxes" (comprising (3) choice specimens).

There are two primary strains of "horned fruit":

1.)The African(a.k.a. "Kiwano", which is the Maori New Zealand name for the fruit). This is grown extensively in New Zealand and to a lesser degree in southern CA. I also understand it is grown in even smaller quantities in such disparate localities as Mexico, the Mediterranean and Africa.

2.)The Amazonian(a.k.a. "fruit of paradise", and also "Cuke-asaurus" , which is a name we patented). This is grown extensively in South America and in Lynden, Washington(on our organic farm).

The primary differences between the two strains are:

1.)The Amazonian has a longer much longer shelf life(provided it is stored at room temperature and in a dry environment, if possible).

2.)The "horns"(spikes) on the Amazonian is sharper to the touch.

3.)The Amazonian is a little sweeter in taste(we still suggest adding some honey, sugar or other "sweetener" to it when eating it straight and we also offer recipes for it).

4.)The color of the skin tends to be more "uniform" on the Amazonian version.

If anyone is still curious or interested in our fruit, I can be reached at:

Ig8802@aol.com

Or by phone at: (360) 398-9351. Thanks!
-Kevin S. L. Burke
Artistic Farms
Lynden, WA 98264
Dominic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: with sugar sprinkled, it's not bad Reply with quote

I bought this a few months ago and researched it after I tried a bite (it was pretty sour). Having spent $4 on it as well, I was determined to figure out why :-) A website recommended sprinkling it with sugar. I did and it was remarkably better. If anyone feels inclined to ante up for this fruit again, I'd suggest at least a teaspoon per half. Kind of tastes like lemonade...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Reply with quote

i'm new here:)
hehe... Shock Disbelief Huh? Unsure Anger Shock Wink Big smile Smile Sad Laughing Out Loud Teasing Cool

thats all I have to say:)
thanx Big smile
Nico Edtinger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Roemerquelle Emotion Kiwano Reply with quote

Roemerquelle has some "wellness" mineral water and one flavor of them is Kiwano. It that's great - maybe because it doesn't have that slimy feeling of the real fruit. Should you ever come to Austria give it a try. Here is a short article (in german): http://www.freizeit-journal.at/fz_aktuell4_blitz1_exotische.htm
isacc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: thanx Reply with quote

when i saw a site that sed this fruit is poisonous i wuz like Shock then i wuz like Sad but i wanted a 2nd opinion Disbelief then i found ur site Teasing now in sooooooooooooooooooooo happy by the way im 12
richard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: african horned melon Reply with quote

just so you know the horned melon looks nothing like a dragon fruit otherwise known as pitaya or strawberry pear the insides are different so just so you know, wot you tried is not a dradon fruit which is sweet in taste not unlike a melon
Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Arican Horned Melon - Kiwano Reply with quote

If you don't like the taste, but love the ornamental qualities, separate the seeds from the gel-sack (A bit hard to do because they're slippery) Then plant them in the late spring, about 4 or 5 in each little hole. Water them for about a week straight and they'll grow into an impressive vine and can begin fruiting in 8 weeks! They grow quickly and can take over a garden so plant them in an area that won't affect other plants and give them a wall or fence to grow on. Becareful when handleing this vine. The vine grows hairy thornes that stick into you for days. It flowers all season in yellow and being an annual, it dies when the weather turns cold.
palealien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: The internet saves again Reply with quote

Hard cash, this time. I saw Kiwanos at a local supermarket and was fascinated enough to lift the PLU sticker so I would remember to look it up. Thanks to the proliferation of information these days I saved $7.00- the price they were selling for. I think I learned more than I would really need to know about them.

And entering a secret code to post! That is so cool.
Tubz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have noticed alot of you have dissagreed with the fact that these things are bitter. i myself have never eaten a comercialy grown one but i have seen a few out in the scrub (we use them for target practice but by the sounds of it we should be exporting the things for $4 each?) they were introduced to Australia about 120 years ago along with such other brilliant brainwaives from englishmen like prickly pears (they were bought to australia as food for the cochineal beetle which where crushed up and used to dye the english soldiers coats) since then they have spread almost everwhere in Australia. however the "african horny melons" (most people who know what they are call them bush kiwis-im not sure why, they taste nothing like a kiwi) have not had such a bad effect - they are quite pretty when you see them too -they start off greenish yellow and end up dark orange to almost red. from my experience of eating them they have the texture of a over ripe, gone to seed cucumber and the young ones are quite sour and quite bitter. the dark red ones are almost edible loosing alot of their bitterness in place of a hint of sweetness and a sour taste.

i was also intruiged by the before mentioned Cherimoya so i looked that up to. we get them alot over here in the supermarkets but we call them "custard apples" which is a fairly good description of the taste-its like a mango, banana, apple and a kiwi fruit mixed with custard. however a nice ripe one is quite hard to get
Nunoff Yurbiz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: exotic fruit Reply with quote

I picked up an African Horned Melon at the grocery this weekend as I (and my gf) have not yet tried them. This week maybe we will cut it.

On a different note I received a couple dozen passion fruit that I ordered about 6-8 weeks ago from a farm in California. I tried them when I traveled to Taiwan this winter past and fell in love with their perfumy scent and interesting crunch (from the seeds in the pulpy fruit. Mixed with a little honey and yogurt they are delicious. When they are quite they are good plain too, though on the tart/sour side sometimes. They are expensive in the grocery. In TX you normally see them at $2.50-$3.00 each. The fruit I have bought twice from White Dove farms (who also sells cherimoya) is ~$29 for about 25 pieces. Try them out.

Cheers
engineer I

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: another name Reply with quote

hello,

about a year ago, i saw these in the grocery store. the stickers on them said "kukosaurus" and because of the name i purchased a few. my friends and i cut the tops off and gutted them as we didnt like what reminds me of watered down kiwi. we then made some mixed drinks in them. the reaction from everyone that saw them was fantastic, and worth the 4$ price tag.
ludwig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

I am usually game to try any new food. So when I found these in my local market ---I bought one. It was bitter and I also thought the inside looked a sickening green---I will spare you the particular .

I am glad to learn that this is African because someone led me to believe that it was a Chinese bitter mellon (for which there are recipes and the original reason I bought it ---never having seen one) or Chinese summer or winter melon. Obviously they were wrong.

I think that $8.00 is a bit too pricey for this item particularly since it grows in the US and even imported that is still too much. Why is it that business people think that they can charge exhorbitant prices for exotic fruit----it would seem to me that they would want to create a market for it by offering a reasonable price.
Rhodadendrun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Kiwana Reply with quote

My daughter and I bought this fruit because it looked interesting and it said on the label it was sweet. It had lots of seeds which you had to eat because the jelly texture was completely around it. It wasn't too sweet but if we had let it sit a little longer it probably would have gotten sweeter. It reminded me of the inside of a grape but with a more jelly like texture. Also reminds me of a Chinese apple. I forget what they are called. Those however are much sweeter.
Rhodadendrun
Maarten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

A cold Gazpacho like soup is great with this 'fruit' maybe with tomato and sour cream, garlic and some very fine, nutty extra vergine olive oil.

It looks a bit like a chinese apple, as the previous post suggested, could you possibly mean the Durian?
Durian smells though, it is officially illegal to transport Durian in Singapore's subway and buses, but will make a great compôte or chutney, as well as parfait and jam. Many Chinese and Malaysian stores sell it in a dried form as candy sticks.
To get it in the US and Europe whilst being fresh it's quite expensive, reckon around $18 or €15 per kilo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: