Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great barbeque sauces from marinades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Great barbeque sauces from marinades. Reply with quote

I use my marinades to make barbeque sauces when I'm grilling and they always come out great.

One example of a common one I like is a chicken marinade. I use orange juice, garlic, a couple shots of tequila, soy sauce, Morton's Hot Salt or other chipotle seasoning, and a little ground black pepper. I marinade the chicken usually all day or overnight. When I start the coals, I put the chicken in a dish to the side and pour the marinade into a sauce pan. I reduce this on high and add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, sometimes hot sauce or ketchup to spice and/or thicken it. I leave it on the stove while I begin grilling. Then I just take the sauce pan out to the grill and brush the sauce on the chicken several times on each side. Great compliment to the marinated flavors.

I've tried dozens of variations. Almost all were great. I'd love to hear if anyone else tries this and what they think.
socal_chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else does this?
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: OK, I hope you meant the RESERVED marinade Reply with quote

I'll sometimes reduce any extra (unused) marinade into a sauce like this and add it at the end (there's a teriyaki sauce I marinade shrimp with like this) but you know you are NEVER supposed to reuse the marinade the meat was in after you take the meat out, especially if it was with chicken.

The bacteria that WAS on the surface of the meat is now in the marinade, which means its now in your sauce. Even if you manage to kill it all by raising the heat high enough, it may have been multiplying enough in the meantime to have made some nasty toxins...
socal_chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, I hope you meant the RESERVED marinade Reply with quote

kgb1001001 wrote:
I'll sometimes reduce any extra (unused) marinade into a sauce like this and add it at the end (there's a teriyaki sauce I marinade shrimp with like this) but you know you are NEVER supposed to reuse the marinade the meat was in after you take the meat out, especially if it was with chicken.

The bacteria that WAS on the surface of the meat is now in the marinade, which means its now in your sauce. Even if you manage to kill it all by raising the heat high enough, it may have been multiplying enough in the meantime to have made some nasty toxins...

That's good to know. I will probably avoid this then next time.

I've done chicken marinades like this many times...but I always use tequila or whiskey in my marinades. Maybe this has a sterilization effect. I also bring the marinade to a boil when reducing, then cook over medium heat for at least 30 minutes. I then apply it to the meat over direct coals to get a good glaze.

I guess I've been lucky. I'll be more careful with these in the future and maybe just set aside a couple cups of the marinade to be reduced separately.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum