Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any great pumpkin recipes other than pie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Any great pumpkin recipes other than pie? Reply with quote

I'm looking to add something with pumpkin to my Thanksgiving lineup this year. My wife says she's heard that pumkin ravioli is delicious. I'd love to hear any great pumkin traditions that are out there.

Growing up, my Mom always took the seeds from our pumpkin carving and baked them with butter and salt, but nothing else happened with the pumkin other than pie from a can.
cheekier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this recipe for pumpkin soup. You can substitute fresh pumpkin for canned. It freezes well, too. The recipe comes from the Libby's website. Enjoy!

Cream Of Pumpkin Curry Soup

Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Ready In Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup (1 small) finely chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY’S 100% Pure Pumpkin
• 1 cup half-and-half
• Sour cream and chopped fresh chives (optional)

Directions:

MELT butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, salt, coriander and crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes to develop flavors. Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.

TRANSFER mixture to food processor or blender (or use a stick blender in the pot itself) and blend until creamy. Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature. Garnish with dollop of sour cream and chives.

Preparation Tip: Soup may be prepared the day ahead. Cool to room temperature after adding pumpkin and half-and-half. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, blend then reheat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum