Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
socal_chris



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 49
Location: Southern CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

I usually roast my peppers over hot coals, steam them in a ziplock bag, and peel them under cold water.

Habaneros, however, either disintigrate over the coals or don't blister enough to peel. Any tips?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

socal_chris wrote:
I usually roast my peppers over hot coals, steam them in a ziplock bag, and peel them under cold water.

Habaneros, however, either disintigrate over the coals or don't blister enough to peel. Any tips?


The skins isn't thick enough to warrant peeling. I've also stopped peeling chilies under water because I've found it mutes the nice roasted flavors.

You tried a propane torch to quickly toast? I haven't, just thinkin'.

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
socal_chris



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 49
Location: Southern CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:


You tried a propane torch to quickly toast? I haven't, just thinkin'.

Biggles

Another tool my kitchen is lacking...

I only use them for flavor and heat. If I want color, I usually add a roasted and chopped orange bell pepper. Maybe I'll just roast them a little and puree them next time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

socal_chris wrote:
DrBiggles wrote:


You tried a propane torch to quickly toast? I haven't, just thinkin'.

Biggles

Another tool my kitchen is lacking...

I only use them for flavor and heat. If I want color, I usually add a roasted and chopped orange bell pepper. Maybe I'll just roast them a little and puree them next time.


Oh, you can use them for color. You just need to add a lot more, heh.

Got me some Red Sevina dust this last weekend, going to try it out this week.

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
socal_chris



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 49
Location: Southern CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:

Oh, you can use them for color. You just need to add a lot more, heh.

Got me some Red Sevina dust this last weekend, going to try it out this week.

Biggles

A lot more and a 1/2 bottle of Pepto! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
IDontUse
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of water, peel with a paper towel. Just as easy.
Back to top
Jim Cooley



Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 335
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help: Peeling Habaneros (Scotch Bonnets)? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:


Got me some Red Sevina dust this last weekend, going to try it out this week.

Biggles


Poor DrBiggles --- wonder what happened to him? Big smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group