Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork Chop recipes!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Pork Chop recipes! Reply with quote

Hey, college student here Smile

Pork chops are usually pretty cheap around here (much cheaper than steak). I am looking for some good and easy to make pork chop recipes that require no grill (stovetop or oven). Could anyone recommend some?

Thanks!
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Have you tried shake and bake? Reply with quote

I almost shudder to mention it -- but it's pretty cheap, it's easy, and it actually doesn't taste half bad...
socal_chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pork Chop recipes! Reply with quote

yi wrote:

Pork chops are usually pretty cheap around here (much cheaper than steak). I am looking for some good and easy to make pork chop recipes that require no grill (stovetop or oven). Could anyone recommend some?

Thanks!

My sister just sent me an e-mail today on this. She's a good cook, and always on a budget. She took some pork chops, cut a few holes in each one and stuffed large green olives in the holes. She used some basic seasonings, pan seared them and finished them in the oven. She said they were awesome...she took pics. I'll post them when she gets them on her recipe site.
LAN3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of a couple of good recipes that call for both stovetop and oven, so make sure you have a pan that can cope with being in the oven. Also, you'll need a wooden spoon or scraper so you can scrape the fond off the pan when you're deglazing, and finally tongs for flipping and stirring.

I really liked Pork Chops with Vinegar and Peppers. Some variations on this include pickled peppers and even mildly hot peppers. Also, that step at the end where you drop in just a little butter is called "mounting the sauce" and it's an incredibly useful way to boost a pan sauce to greater heights.

Second I recommend Whiskey-Glazed Pork Chops-- hopefully you, a college student, won't have too much trouble getting ahold a some decent Tennessee Whiskey for this (Jack Daniels, George Dickel, etc.) but Bourbon will do in a pinch (Maker's Mark might be a bit on the sweet side). Just save your own drinking until after the part where you take the pan out of the oven. (Handle burns on the palm of your hand really suck.)

Also, since you note pork is cheap, go ahead and do all 4 chops, even if you are eating alone. Because A) these will do okay in the fridge for a day or two and Cool you won't be eating alone long with these dishes. Store the sauce in a separate container, and reheat gently (you might pre-cut the pork before re-heating). Side of bread and something green.

The former recipe is from Cook's Illustrated, and the latter from its companion mag, "Cook's Country."

Once you can do these two dishes, you've got all the skills you need to mess around with sauces, glazes, and companion vegetables. The denser the veg, the smaller you must cut it for it to cook at the same time as the pork, but you can always take out what's done and keep cooking the rest.

Also, look around for stuffed pork-chop recipes. Finally, apple is a common companion to pork-- applesauce, apple-stuffing, etc. For spices, pork does well with black pepper and fennel-seed (the sausage spice), and probably a good many others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite food is pizza but I'm quite fussy. I only like the pizza that is delivered to my house hot. hahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pork Chop recipes! Reply with quote

yi wrote:

Thanks!

Here's something you probably haven't tried and will fall in love with instantly. The recipe isn't exact and will vary depending on size/quantity of chops and whether you use the oven or stove top.

Flour and brown your chops (the thicker the better) in a pan that has a decent lid. Towards end of browning toss in a few cloves of smooshed garlic and s&p. Add a cup to a cup and a half of whole milk. Either simmer on stove or in a 325 to 350 degree oven until pork reaches an internal temperature of 145.

The milk will break in to curds, that's how it is supposed to work. It's hands down one of the most wonderful ways of cooking pork. Not only do you get rich and juicy pork each time, but the gravy is second to none (that means it's really good).

Here's my recipe for the same method but using a pork roast.

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/000993.html

Biggles
Charlie Hazlett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Pan Roasting Reply with quote

It is called pan roasting because you first brown the meat in a pan and finish it by roasting in the over.

Put porkchop(s) in pan and brown to desired shade, no need to cook until done.

Put pan in preheated 325-350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Take out moist and perfect porkchops and enjoy.

Of course while in the oven you may slather whatever fruits and seasonings you might enjoy with, sliced apples come to mind.
ditto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell soup recipes:

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/RecipeSearch.aspx?searchText=Pork%20Chops%20and%20Mushroom%20soup
qwertyblue64

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: My porkchop recipe Reply with quote

What I do is to marinate the porkchops in a mixture of balsamic vinaigrette, olive oil, peppercorns, and fennel for one hour. Then, I grill them for four minutes per side. They're surprisingly juicy, considering how bland pork is these days.
nina

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: orange chops Reply with quote

This recipe works for pork or lamb chops. Get a roasting pan and put a layer of thick sliced oranges on the bottom. covering the entire bottom of the pan with orange slices. Put the chops on top of the orange slices. Mix powdered ginger and brown sugar half and half. you need enough to sprinkle heavily over the chops. put on a lid and bake them until tender . about 180 degrees for 1 hour for medium chops. You can actually do this in a micrwave if you have a glass baking dish. I cant remember the time but i think it is about 15 minutes on medium. you would have to start slow and experiment but it is a great microwave dish. i just havent done it that way for ages. Vegies can be added if you like. It is also not a bad way to cook a duck but it takes at leasst 2.5hours You can eat the oranges but with mutton or pork chops they tend to be a bit fatty. Bread dipped in the orangey gingery fat is a bit yummy.
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: pork chop recipes Reply with quote

This is a recipe from the son of a meat cutter, and is it good!

6 3/4 inch pork chops
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can peach halves
1/2 cup karo syrup
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water

Brown chops on both sides, pour off fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain peaches, reserving 1/4 cup syrup. Use syrup, corn syrup, lemon juice, spices, combine and pour over chops. Cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes or until tender. Add peach halves, heat until warm. Remove all but juices from pan. Mix flour and water, add to skillet and boil to make gravy. Serve over chops and peaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum