Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some recipes from our kitchen...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Some recipes from our kitchen... Reply with quote

I'm going to start this thread to add a few recipes of our own here. Some are handed down from family history and some are variations of those we come across in various magazines, books, web sites, etc.

Hopefully Michael will try a couple and add anything he likes. Otherwise, anyone else who tries them, I welcome feedback.

With autumn upon us, my wife is eager for me to make her favorite recipe in the world....Butternut Squash Soup with Curry and Shitake Mushrooms.

Easy recipe...war and delicious.

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash - halved lengthwise
1 garlic bulb, peeled, cloves halved
1 cup shitake mushrooms (fresh, or dried mushrooms soaked for 20 minutes)
1 tbsp curry powder
4 12 oz. cans of chicken broth (I use low sodium and salt to taste)
crushed black pepper to taste
kosher salt to taste

Directions:

Scoop seeds from halves of butternut squash.
Generously spray exposed halves of squash with Pam Butter Flavored Cooking Spray (TM), or use any olive oil or butter of your choice...my wife is very "cooking fat" conscious.
Add halved cloves of garlic to each pit of the squash.
Grill over hot coals or flame for 20-30 minutes or until meat of squash is tender when poked with a fork. (You can bake also, but I don't have time or temp suggestions for you. Probably at least 400 deg. until tender.)
Slice shitake mushrooms into thin strips. I sautee them in olive oil for just a few minutes. You can add them to the soup raw if you like.
Once squash is cooked, scoop meat and garlic cloves into a blender or food processor. Add about a 2 cups of broth, or enough to puree the mixture until smooth. (depending on the size of your squash and food processor/blender, this may take 2-3 times to puree all squash)
Add puree to a large pot. Add curry and broth (if you like your soup thicker or thinner, adjust the amount of chicken broth you use).
Stir in mushrooms and add salt & pepper to taste.

For decoration, you can serve with a couple slices of red bell pepper, roasted red pepper, or a dollop of sour cream. I just add a dash of paprika on the top for appearance.

This is a warm fulfilling soup that appeals to those who are concerned with eating healthy too. I'm a fan of butter and cream, but I find dishes my wife will enjoy with her strict diet, and I enjoy cooking and eating.

Enjoy!
socal_chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Baja style Ceviche Reply with quote

One of the bonuses to marrying into a Mexican family!

My wife makes a very simple Americanized version of Baja Ceviche. Good for you and tasty!

6 roma tomatoes, diced
½ - ¾ white onion, finely chopped
2 jalepeños, finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 1tsp garlic powder)
¼ - ½ cup cilantro, chopped (to taste)
12 ounces (or 2 cups) imitation crab meat, diced
9 limes, juiced
dash of salt

Basically, just dice and mix everything and add enough lime juice to keep the entire mixture very wet. I like to add other seafoods (shrimp, scallops, tilapia, squid, mussels, etc.) but the immitation crab is cheap and easy to get. Sometimes I'll even add a few dashes of jalapeno sauce to spice it up more. Depends on how much heat you like.

Serve with tortilla chips, tostadas, pita chips, or eat with a spoon.
socal_chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little frittata off the cuff for dinner tonight...

My son (almost 2 now) is not a fan of eggs, so I've been trying different ways to get him to eat them. Here's tonight's recipe, inspired by many recipes found on the American Egg Board web page: http://www.aeb.org/

6 large eggs
1 small handful of green olives, stuffed with pimiento, drained and sliced
1 tsp of minced garlic
2-3 oz. of goat cheese (mine was rolled in herbs)
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 thinly sliced roasted red pepper (jar or fresh)
grated parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet and add goat cheese. While cheese softens, beat 6 eggs in a mixing bowl. Beat in garlic and sliced olives. Add egg mixture to skillet with goat cheese and mix. Stir while heating over medium heat, similar to scrambling. When mixture is almost fully cooked, but still very moist, lay strips of roasted red pepper across the top and sprinkle generously with parmeson cheese. Move skillet to the broiler and broil until fully cooked and color turns slightly golden. Remove, plate, let sit for 3 minutes and slice into pie slices.

If you're using a skillet with a plastic handle, wrap the handle in 2 coats of aluminum foil before putting in the broiler. It won't be in there long enough to melt.

This came out light and fluffy with a rich savory flavor. Wife and son both loved it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum