Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spice kit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brueggjr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: spice kit? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen something like this? I'm looking for a small container, perhaps a metal box, that contains small 2-4 oz containers that could be filled with spices. I'm looking for something I could use at work but it would also be valuable for traveling. Clear spice containers are always a plus too.

I'm posting here because I've not been able to find anything through goodle searches.

I checked the obvious sites like Williams Sonoma and REI. It seems nobody makes these things.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: spice kit? Reply with quote

brueggjr wrote:
Has anyone seen something like this? I'm looking for a small container, perhaps a metal box, that contains small 2-4 oz containers that could be filled with spices. I'm looking for something I could use at work but it would also be valuable for traveling. Clear spice containers are always a plus too.

I'm posting here because I've not been able to find anything through goodle searches.

I checked the obvious sites like Williams Sonoma and REI. It seems nobody makes these things.

YEAH !!! You want to search in the Indian or any country that may use a lot of spices. I don't know the name, but they've got these round spice tin containers that are portable. The main container is round and usually stainless or at least shiny, like a wheel. And inside are usually another lid with a little handle and under that are about 4 or 5 or 6 little round metal cups that can be easily pulled out. The deal is that the lids fit tightly and hold all the powders, herbs and whatever in place and separate. VERY cool and not pricey in the least. I found ours at a local Indian grocery.

Biggles
brueggjr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: spice kit? Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
brueggjr wrote:

YEAH !!! You want to search in the Indian or any country that may use a lot of spices. I don't know the name, but they've got these round spice tin containers that are portable. The main container is round and usually stainless or at least shiny, like a wheel. And inside are usually another lid with a little handle and under that are about 4 or 5 or 6 little round metal cups that can be easily pulled out. The deal is that the lids fit tightly and hold all the powders, herbs and whatever in place and separate. VERY cool and not pricey in the least. I found ours at a local Indian grocery.

Biggles

I found that spice set yesterday afternoon, but I think I found what I need here.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old lunch box and small vile like containers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: spice kit? Reply with quote

brueggjr wrote:

I saw Alton Brown pulling small tins off of the inside of his kitchen cabinent. They were held in place by velcro tabs. The containers looked like something from The Container Store. Cheap and effective.
LAN3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those watchmaker's cases, linked above, are very commonly given a magnetic base and resold at criminal markups as spice tins or containers for other geegaws. I seriously wish I was the guy who came up with that innovation. Buying matchmaker tins, sheet magnets, and investing in a hot-glue gun would probably let you fill all your walls and cabinets with spices galore. Get several different sizes, because sometimes you've got 4-inch cinnamon sticks, and sometimes you have half a gram of saffron.

I always assumed that Alton's spice tins used magnets, since that's what I usually see sold in stores (along with a piece of sheet steel to attach them to) but now that someone said velcro, I wonder...
leanne mac v

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: spice kit? Reply with quote

brueggjr wrote:

you're looking for a masala dabba... try searching in an indian grocery store (http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/masaladabba.htm)
- leanne
gracie70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: travel spice kit Reply with quote

Check out the Mobile Foodie Survival Kit at
http://www.MobileStateOfGrace.com.

Might be just what you're looking for!

You can buy one at http://www.Flight001.com.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Penzey's Reply with quote

Sounds like you're almost looking for a Penzey's Gift Box -- yes the container is cardboard, but it's certainly reusable:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Gift_Boxes.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased clear top metal tins from "specialtybottle.com". They are food grade (very important). I am planning on attaching velcro tabs to the bottoms and displaying them on one side of my black refrigerator. This was the cheapest I found online and the hardware/craft stores weren't specific about being able to hold food (spices).
~Raegan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum