Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corn in the Oven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAN3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Corn in the Oven Reply with quote

Since it's corn season in the northern hemisphere, I thought I'd relate something that I've read about a while ago. Apparently the fictional detective of the Rex Stout's books, Nero Wolff, will only eat his corn in one fashion, as related in Murder is Corny:
Quote:
Wolfe: It must be nearly mature, but not quite, and it must be picked not more than three hours before it reaches me. Do you eat sweet corn?

Cramer: Yes. You're stalling.

Wolfe: No. Who cooks it?

Cramer: My wife. I haven't got a Fritz.

Wolfe: Does she cook it in water?

Cramer: Sure. Is yours cooked in beer?

Wolfe: No. Millions of American women, and some men, commit that outrage every summer day. They are turning a superb treat into mere provender. Shucked and boiled in water, sweet corn is edible and nutritious; roasted in husk in the hottest possible oven for forty minutes, shucked at the table, and buttered and salted, nothing else, it is ambrosia. No chef's ingenuity and imagination have ever created a finer dish. American women should themselves be boiled in water.

Last night I had my oven at 450 for unrelated reasons and decided to toss in a cob of corn. 45 minutes later, I had some superb corn. The outer husk does indeed blacken and burn, and there's a vegetal or burnt newspaper smell to contend with, but it's pretty mild. The corn husk steams the corn (it probably couldn't hurt to wet the thing if it's not 3 hours from the stalk) inside, and don't skip the butter and salt. It's heavenly. The only drawback is the necessity of a blazing hot oven, since corn season coincides with hot weather.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that using indirect heat on a barbeque would do the trick without heating up the house. Assuming, of course, that you have access to a barbeque.
LAN3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a friend of mine, who has access to a barbecue and who lives where it's much hotter than here, that is exactly the case.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Grilling corn on the barbecue Reply with quote

Tried this for the first time last night (inspired by the forum and following directions in the Fanny Farmer cookbook). You shuck a few ears of corn and remove the silk from each. You then rub each ear with margarine and added salt and pepper to taste.

Wrap each ear of corn in aluminum foil (at least a couple of layers) and seal the ends, then grill over indirect heat for 15-20 minutes, depending upon the size of the ear.

Marvelous!
Cassie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually peel down the husk and remove the silk (hairs) and rinse it. I make some seasoned butter (butter thrown in a bowl with garlic or whatever else and mixed) and coat the corn in it and pull the husk back up and grill it for 15-20 minutes. While it's on the grill I take a mason jar and fill it with melted butter with whatever I used to season the butter added in. When the corn is taken off if you need more butter you can just dip it in. It saves a lot of mess.

and it's good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum