Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Barbecue Tool - Never Burn Hotdogs Again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: New Barbecue Tool - Never Burn Hotdogs Again! Reply with quote

Hey all you Barbecue Lovers!

If you've ever had to deal with the frustration of burnt hotdogs, you're going to like this barbecue tool a lot. My father-in-law has just recently invented what we call The WienerStick. It is a new barbecue accessory which we're currently trying very hard to get the word out on.

The WienerStick itself, sits vertically on your barbecue, maximizing space and turning your two dimensional cooking surface, into a three dimensional experience. Food skewered on the stainless steel tines, cooks quite quickly from the inside out, allowing you to make a variety of foods including wieners and hotdogs, without the hassle of constant turning or burning.

The website address for the WienerStick is:
http://www.wienerstick.com

We are operating out of Canada, but will take orders from and ship to the United States as well.

Feel free to go check it out. There's a selection of "action shots" of the WienerStick in use, as well as some initial recipes to try. You can also enter to win a free WienerStick by referring people to the website.

All the best,
James W.

-------------------------------------------------------
James Warkentin - WienerTec Website Manager
http://www.wienerstick.com
JohnLocke809

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Respond Reply with quote

Do not forget to let us know what actually happens i the end.
Kawartha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Such a simple idea.. yet there it is. I see good things coming from this Smile

Kawa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wound you not want to burn a hotdog? That's the only way to get any flavor out of them. Laughing Out Loud
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]Why wound you [i]not[/i] want to burn a hotdog? That's the only way to get any flavor out of them. Laughing Out Loud[/quote]

I agree. Without char marks, a hot dog is just formed, hashed meat.
Thor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Hashed Meat Reply with quote

Just formed, hashed meat??? Perhaps.

Unless it's wrapped in bacon . . .
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, hashed formed meat, even with bacon, which sounds delicious!

It has got to have char marks, otherwise you might as well boil them. . . . YUCK!
Thor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Texas Tommy Reply with quote

Oh, I agree. There should be some color to a dog, either grilled or pan fried. But I also get to grill them for my daughter who likes them hot, but not browned. And for my brother who prefers that when everyone elses dogs are done, I leave one over the flames, put the lid on the kettle, and forget about it. He'll sneak back to the grill a half hour later with a bottle of hot sauce and a beer and have at it.

When I was much younger, my mom made a dish she called Texas Tommies. To make a Tommy, she'd partially slit a hot dog, fill said slit with cheddar cheese, spiral wrap a piece of bacon around the whole thing and secure the ensuing package with a couple of wooden tooth picks. Baked (or broiled, I don't remember) them in the oven until the bacon was done enuf and the cheese had begun to brown. Typically served with something like tator tots and pork and beans. Haute cuisine at its finest.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it along the same lines as your brother, although not quite so severe. I do have to try it bacon wrapped.
jimjimjim9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-hatch scoring is another way to dress up this marvel of machine-extruded meat emulsification. It adds surface contour differences that yield various degrees of browning.

Just use the tip of a paring knife, with your thumb at the tip as a depth guide, to score the surface.

For quickies, without using the grill, scoring is a huge help when pan-grilling. Try slicing in half longitudinally, keeping a connectiong flap on one side. Score the outside (both longi- and lateral) of the now-split dog. Fry both sides hot in pan, and the scoring will prevent the dreaded curl up at the ends (a press of small metal lid helps here too). This 2-part dog now presents two different browned surfaces: the scored outside, and the browned grainy emulsified inside. For bun presentation, it can be folded back together and "stuffed."
Thor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like vegetable carving, but without the fiber. Man, that's art!
Thor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Deep Fried, Bacon Wrapped, Hashed Formed Meat Reply with quote

My subsequent research indicates that American is the cheese of choice for Texas Tommies.

I also found someone who drops the assemble Tommies into the deep fryer. Their recipe says when the Tommy floats back to the surface, it's done.

Wow.
Howard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have liked to see heat pipes instead of solid tines, but I suppose that's alright too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there those cool rotating things they have in stores that move them in circles in a glass container? You always see them in old hardware shops and small food places with the popcorn machines. 8) The action shot wasn't working so I wasn't sure how it worked.
bewhyareohin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: The Ultimate Weenie Roaster..... Reply with quote

I like the overall idea with the weinerstick, but it lacks the curb appeal of the "Roast My Weenie" Hot Dog Cooker.... Stainless Steel, one piece construction, which means no ugly welds and chemicals, and the reaction from people who see it is priceless. Perfect gift for a tailgate party, or a X-Husband that you need to tell him how you feel about him... L.o.l. Check it out and see for yourself!

www.roastmyweenie.com

This is the way to cook your dog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum