Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Ultimate comfort food Reply with quote

What can I say? Yum!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering, would banana muffin mix, be the same as the banana bread recipe?
sabine

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this sounds really great. I'm gonna try soon!

thank you!!
Sabine (Austria)
penas

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: muito bom Reply with quote

ja fiz umas vinte verzes, sempre deu certo, com ameixas, com passas, com amendoin, com coco, com castanha de caju, com aveia em vez de farinha, com farinha integral, com um pote de yogurte, este ficou monstro, foi comido emdez minutos
vale a pena
Uthman

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: right on the money Reply with quote

I tried this out twice and it worked perfect both times. But a smile on a friends face =). You were right on the money with the consistancy of the bread -- this recipe is Perfect. Not too cakey, not too rocky. I noticed that both times, it also tasted better on the second/third day after baking it. I guess after it absorbed some air. I also added about 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 more nuts than the recipe called for but it turned out great!
kayke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: tough bread Reply with quote

Sonali-
it's probably tough because you blended the flour in too much. Overmixing flour=gluten development=tough quickbread. This mixing method, where you fold the liquids into the dry, just until moistened, is what my ma calls the "muffin method". Take it easy and you'll have tender lovely muffins/quickbreads every time.
I'm going to make this right now, for brekkie! Thanks for an awesome website, sir. I knew those frozen bananas would come in handy someday.
Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Banana Bread Reply with quote

I add pecans and a tablespoon on cinnamon instead of vanilla. Yummy!!! My family loves my banana bread.
MARY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recipe makes great muffins also. We like to slice them in half and put a slab of peanut butter between the layers.
Daphne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Spice it up Reply with quote

My banana bread is in the oven now, but I added some spices (cinamon, nutmeg, a bit of cloves ground up and a pinch of ginger) to the original recipe.
Adding spices isin't much extra work, and adds lots of flavour.
Sharishari7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Banana Nut Bread Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe. It instantly replaced our old Banana Nut Bread recipe!!!
SUNNYSOLEIL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Cream cheese nut banana bread Reply with quote

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (about 1/14 lbs. or 4 medium)
1 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Orange Pecan Topping
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice, fresh
1 teaspoon orange rind, grated

OR

Cinnamon-Crisp Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer, until creamy.

Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.

Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.

Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8 x 4 inch loafpans.

Bake at 350º for 1 hour, or until tests clean. (Shield with foil the last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary.

Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.

Remove from pans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.

Orange Pecan Topping:.
Sprinkle pecans over batter before baking.
Cool bread 10 minutes, remove from pans.
Stir together sugar, orange juice and orange rind.
Drizzle evenly over warm bread.

Cinnamon-Crisp Topping.
Stir together brown sugar, toasted pecans, flour, melted butter and cinnamon.
Sprinle mixture evenly over batter.
Bake and cool bread.
Smile
Guest Jacki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Query about banana loaf Reply with quote

Hi There

A year ago I made a delicious banana loaf, where I mashed the banana until smooth for the recipe, But recently saw a recipe where you chop the banana into chunks then fold into bread mixture... once baked and cooled, when I sliced it open , I noticed that the banana patched in the loaf were purple !! Does anyone know if this is a normal reaction? I immediatley baked a second loaf to see if I had perhaps done something wrong, but the same thing happened!
It still tastes good though. Can anyone shed a little light on my confusion?
Sad Smile
nanaverm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Banana bread Reply with quote

What I'd like to see, is the banana measurement in all banana bread recipes expressed in cups instead of in "bananas". Often supermarkets sell bags of very ripe bananas quite cheaply, and a baker must cut out large pieces of bruised areas. I try to estimate the # of bananas that might equal - but then, bananas also come in different sizes.
nanaverm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Banana bread Reply with quote

Sonali -

Another thing that will make non-yeast breads more tender is using "soft wheat" white flour. It has less protein and wheat gluten than regular white flour.
barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: ripening bananas for banana breat Reply with quote

I have been baking banana bread for years (Betty Crocker), but I found a great recipe using yogurt in Cooking Light.

Anyway, the way I ripen the bananas is this:

When the bananas start to get there brown spots and no one in the house will eat them, I put them in the freezer and start a collection (watch them diving out of the freezer - it does hurt!).

They turn brown and all the sugars and starches break down and leaves you with brown bananas and a wonderful mush in the middle.

This leaves you with a wonderfully ripened banana and mush to put into your bread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: