Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Calphalon Non-Stick Cookware Carcinogenic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel Calphalon cookware is safe?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

ctrosejr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Is Calphalon Non-Stick Cookware Carcinogenic? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Calphalon cookware is made with C-8, which has been shown to be carcinogenic? Is Calphalon cookware safe?

Quote:
02/15/2006 DOVER, Del. - A group of scientific advisers to the Environmental Protection Agency voted unanimously Wednesday to approve a recommendation that a chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and other nonstick and stain-resistant products should be considered a likely carcinogen.

To see the full article go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11376032/

The article specifically talks about Tephlon, which uses C-8, or perfluorooctanoic acid, in its manufacturing process and how DuPont is the sole North American maker of Tephlon. However, the article also talks about "other non-stick and stain-resistant products". My question is whether C-8 is used in other products or just Tephlon.

I currently have two Calphalon pans that I have been using for years. In your collective assessment, should I ditch them and use something else? Or, do you think Calphalon is safe? Any insight would be a tremendous help. Thanks!
gk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

very interesting, i use nonstick allclad and i'm worried about the carcinogens. any body have any input?
ctrosejr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gk, Good catch! I should have mentioned AllClad, in addition to Calphalon. AllClad is also a big manufacturer of non-stick cookware.
Amadio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nonstick coating would have to start breaking down to gas off, so unless you're leaving a pan unattended and empty on high heat, you shouldn't have to worry about your health.
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just learned about this a couple of weeks ago at work!

The answer is that no, they are not carcinogenic, but I understand where the whole thing got started.

Essentially, the propellent that they use to spray the Nonstick coating on is carcinogenic, but when they bake the nonstick coating onto the pan, all of the bad stuff is burned off, which means that by the time the consumer gets their hands on it, there is nothing bad left on the pan. So, even high heat cooking doesn't release carcinogens.

This is not to say that you should cook on high heat in a nonstick pan. Nope, not ever, as the nonstick coating will burn, just like anything else that gets too hot.
curiousmom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: think about the workers though Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about using pans you already have.

But, I won't buy more, because the stuff used/produced during manufacture cannot be good for either the workers or the environment!
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's already been proven safe, as the "baking" process is done in a sealed chamber. They've already had to drop the cases against the manufacturers for that reason.
raquelle78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: teflon fumes Reply with quote

The fumes from over heating teflon coated pans is known to be deadly to birds. I'd rather not take the risk on myself. Shock
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I'll wait until there's conclusive evidence linking any ingredient with modern cookware and any kind of possible harm to humans. Of if people wind up in the morgue with direct links to over-heating their non-stick cookware.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum