Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perfect BBQ Every Time

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SinisterSturgeon
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Perfect BBQ Every Time Reply with quote

I thought I would post some tips on how to make perfect BBQ.

Ribs (baby back)
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Apply dry rub to your ribs
3. wrap ribs in 2 sections of foil like a package
4. throw foil wrapped ribs in the oven for 3 hours
5. Ribs are now fully cooked and can be stored in the fridge until you are ready to use them
6. take out your cooked rips, brush on your favorite sauce
7. throw the ribs on a medium hot grill for 2-3 mins each side
8. pull the ribs off and dunk them in a bath of sauce
9. Throw them back on the grill and turn until, sauce is good and caked on
they will be falling off the bone by this time

Chicken: Breast and Bone-in pieces
1. Get a large pot
2. place chicken pieces in the pot
3. Add 1 can of beer, 1 stick of butter, and some dry spices
(salt, pepper, paprika)
4. fill pot with water to cover chicken
5. boil for about 1 hour
6. remove chicken (it can now be stored in the fridge until you need it)
7. baste chicken in your favorite sauce
8. throw on the grill for 2-3 mins
9. pull chicken off grill and dunk it in your sauce. put it back on the
grill until its nice and caked on, with some grill marks


I follow these cooking directions everytime.
I always make my own sauce as that is the key to the great taste,
but these cooking directions will give you falling off the bone ribs,
and very moist chicken everytime without fail.
plus you can do the pre-cooking a day ahead and be ready to grill later
Back to top
Matt



Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Can't wait to give these methods a try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect BBQ Every Time Reply with quote

SinisterSturgeon wrote:
I thought I would post some tips on how to make perfect BBQ.

Ribs (baby back)
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Apply dry rub to your ribs
3. wrap ribs in 2 sections of foil like a package
4. throw foil wrapped ribs in the oven for 3 hours
5. Ribs are now fully cooked and can be stored in the fridge until you are ready to use them
6. take out your cooked rips, brush on your favorite sauce
7. throw the ribs on a medium hot grill for 2-3 mins each side
8. pull the ribs off and dunk them in a bath of sauce
9. Throw them back on the grill and turn until, sauce is good and caked on
they will be falling off the bone by this time

Chicken: Breast and Bone-in pieces
1. Get a large pot
2. place chicken pieces in the pot
3. Add 1 can of beer, 1 stick of butter, and some dry spices
(salt, pepper, paprika)
4. fill pot with water to cover chicken
5. boil for about 1 hour
6. remove chicken (it can now be stored in the fridge until you need it)
7. baste chicken in your favorite sauce
8. throw on the grill for 2-3 mins
9. pull chicken off grill and dunk it in your sauce. put it back on the
grill until its nice and caked on, with some grill marks


I follow these cooking directions everytime.
I always make my own sauce as that is the key to the great taste,
but these cooking directions will give you falling off the bone ribs,
and very moist chicken everytime without fail.
plus you can do the pre-cooking a day ahead and be ready to grill later


If that's BBQ, then I'm an engineer. That's taking cooked meat and searing it for a few minutes over some sort of heat for some color. This has nothing to do with BBQ.

Try your method without the sauce and see what you think. The meat should stand on its own for flavors and textures. If you still think boiling a chicken for an hour is BBQ, then I invite you to stop by sometime. I'll smoke you a whole chicken and a slab of ribs using mesquite and hickory. Depending on the size, the chicken takes about 2.5 to 3 hours and comes out with dark smoky red crispy skin and gushes juice. I don't eeven want to put boiled chicken skin in my mouth. The ribs take about 4 to 5 hours with the same smoky love, juicy meat that pulls loose with a tug of the teefs. Your eyes roll back as the bright rubs on both chicken and pork jump around your mouth. The smoky flavors will then begin loll about as the meat juice carries those flavors all about.
This sir, is barbecue.

xo

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snappybob



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the good Doctor. I knew from the very first line in your Rib recipe that you don't even know what Bar BQ is much less how to cook it.
"Preheat oven to 325". No reason to read any farther.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thor



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 112
Location: Camp Hill, PA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Need More Smoke Reply with quote

I tend to agree. BBQ is long, low and slow. Seven pounds of pork butt, a cooler filled with beverages, and six to eight hours of hardwood smoke wafting thru the neighborhood produce some excellent eats.

However, I have not attempted a rack or two of ribs on my 22.5" kettle using indirect heat methods. I don't have a stand to hold the ribs vertically, and ribs eat a ton of real estate. Once the fire is set, there isn't really room for much more than a small rack of ribs.

Any suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need More Smoke Reply with quote

Thor wrote:
I tend to agree. BBQ is long, low and slow. Seven pounds of pork butt, a cooler filled with beverages, and six to eight hours of hardwood smoke wafting thru the neighborhood produce some excellent eats.

However, I have not attempted a rack or two of ribs on my 22.5" kettle using indirect heat methods. I don't have a stand to hold the ribs vertically, and ribs eat a ton of real estate. Once the fire is set, there isn't really room for much more than a small rack of ribs.

Any suggestions?


Any decent hardware store or internet store will have a 'rib rack' where one can slide the ribs in vertically. They work pretty darned well. You just need to pay attention and flip/turn them so the meat gets done evenly. And it shouldn't cost over 11 dollars either.

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thor



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 112
Location: Camp Hill, PA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Rib Rack Reply with quote

I was hoping to avoid buying another special piece of cooking equipment that I would have to find cabinet space for. However I didn't realize they were only $11. I found three models online all within a couple bucks of 11. And my wife has been asking me make ribs for several months, so it might be time to bite the bullet.

I've been considering borrowing my wire file folder rack from the office. I haven't though, as it looks too tall, I'm not sure it's heat proof, and I'd have to take it back and reload the file folders afterwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1622
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a V-Rack (for a roasting pan), you can flip it over (so the point of the V points up) and depending on the design, it can double as a rib rack. V-racks can often be found for around $6 - but not all will fit your grill and not all will have adequate spacing for ribs.

Just another posibility...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
If you have a V-Rack (for a roasting pan), you can flip it over (so the point of the V points up) and depending on the design, it can double as a rib rack. V-racks can often be found for around $6 - but not all will fit your grill and not all will have adequate spacing for ribs.

Just another posibility...


Over the years, I've noticed that taking something from the kitchen or office for use in a grill or smoker will rarely return to its original origin.

Me thinks it might be better to get something dedicated for fire, smoke and grease and burnt sauces. Yes.

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1622
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
Over the years, I've noticed that taking something from the kitchen or office for use in a grill or smoker will rarely return to its original origin.

You've got me there! I have a V-Rack I use in house and another that has never come back into the house after being used on the grill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DrBiggles



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 355
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
DrBiggles wrote:
Over the years, I've noticed that taking something from the kitchen or office for use in a grill or smoker will rarely return to its original origin.

You've got me there! I have a V-Rack I use in house and another that has never come back into the house after being used on the grill.


Yeah, that's it. Of course, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

See, once you've 'ruined' it on the grill, you can then head out and go shopping for a new toy. Maybe even a really nice one, with new features.

Biggles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thor



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 112
Location: Camp Hill, PA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point.

Quote:
Over the years, I've noticed that taking something from the kitchen or office for use in a grill or smoker will rarely return to its original origin


My wife lost a bathroom trash can, which now contains hardwood charcoal. I now use a 5 gallon bucket for toting all my grilling stuff to away games. It formerly held non-cooking tools which are now scattered around the basement. And the fireplace no longer has any extra long fireplace matches.

Quote:
If you have a V-Rack (for a roasting pan), you can flip it over (so the point of the V points up) and depending on the design, it can double as a rib rack . . .


I don't have a V-Rack. My roasting rack is one of those adjustable, collapsible gizmos. But, while standing on a stool accessing the deep recesses of the cabinet over the fridge trying to figure out how to make my roasting rack act like a rib rack, I did notice that there is a whole bunch of empty space in my turkey sized roasting pan. Certainly enough empty space to store a callapsed roasting rack AND a rib rack.

The rib rack cost me $8. Unfortunately, Mrs. Thor is very pregnant. The suggestion of ribs did not sit well with her unusual constitution, the the rack is already filling the space in my roasting pan. However, the suggestion of pulled pork sandwiches raised both of her eyebrows, and I dare say she drooled a bit. So, no ribs for another 10 weeks. But I'm playing with pork butt this weekend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group