Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Corn Fritters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Spicy Soy Sauce Reply with quote

What is spicy soy sauce? Is this someting you mix up or purchase at the market? -- Thanks, nice site.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spicy Soy Sauce Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
What is spicy soy sauce? Is this someting you mix up or purchase at the market? -- Thanks, nice site.

Someone out there probably makes a spicy soy sauce, but in this case, I fashioned my own with Sriracha chili sauce, soy sauce, and a little sugar. I have no idea what E&O Trading Company uses for their dipping sauce - it tasted like soy sauce with a little kick to me.
banjar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: corn fritters Reply with quote

I seem to remember many restaurants and fairground vendors sprinkling powdered sugar on corn fritters. Does anyone else remember this or was this a limited regional thing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: "indigenous american"? Hardly. Reply with quote

Jane (guest) said...
"the recipe is for a basic american country style corn fritter,minus the pepper, and deep fried but with a different sauce. Americans use maple syrup, or honey, or common sweet syrup and butter. Glad to see another indigenous american thing went overseas. Sorry to see that another indigenous amercian thing lost credit for being what it is."

I assume by "american" you mean the USA.

Corn in dough originated in South America, naturally, and variations of the corn-dumpling recipe appeared as soon as corn did, all over the world. Sauces and additions vary, but there was no "american credit" for this recipe to "lose".

Love the blog, love the photos, thanks so much!
christamac

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: sriracha Reply with quote

I LOVE the flavor of Sriracha hot chili sauce, and would eat it by the spoonful if it wasn't so darned HOT (I know...I'm a wimp).

Thanks for the idea for the fritter dipping sauce. Any other sauce/dip ideas that bring out the flavor of Sriracha without burning my tongue off? If anyone can do it, it'll be an engineer...
THANKS!
colariris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: fritters falling apart Reply with quote

I don't think the fritters will fall apart if the oil is heated (350-375) for this delicate recipe). Try canola/veggie oil as it won't burn in high temperatures).

I've substitured cornstarch and it worked fine also and eliminated the other egg yolk to make it lighter.

As for cooking this without the oil (miss belemic), just settle for the good ole grilled corn on the cob.

Laughing Out Loud blah
stephane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: corn for cornfritters Reply with quote

Is the the corn that you're cutting off of the cob already cooked? Or is that raw corn that gets cooked in the frying process?
Thanks
-Stephane
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: corn for cornfritters Reply with quote

stephane wrote:
Is the the corn that you're cutting off of the cob already cooked? Or is that raw corn that gets cooked in the frying process?

It's raw corn getting cut from the cob. The corn cooks as it is pan fried.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: corn for cornfritters Reply with quote

not that it should matter. it's not like raw corn is going to make you sick.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Sriracha Sauce Reply with quote

Had to do a wiki to figure out that sriracha is the same as the "Rooster Sauce" you have on the table at a lot of Vietnamese and Thai restaurants.
It's the best! I'm addicted to it, so easy to mix in with your scambled eggs, soups, spagetti, anything you want some heat in.
For the "wimp" for whom it was too hot, I bet you could soften it's bite with some ketchup and/or roasted red pepper mashed up.
Monty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this recipe has been posted for a while but i just wanted to comment because I've made this recipe twice now and I'm very impressed, it is the best corn fritter recipe I've ever come across. I love the way it uses fresh rather than processed corn.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long drive to any place that stocks Sriracha sauce. I recently discovered that you can get it through amazon.com.
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Great taste but cooking them was rather hazardous Reply with quote

What I mean is that when the fritters were frying in the pan some of the burning hot corn kernels popped and flew into the air. So there were flying corn kernels and spattering oil too. I had to cook "defensively" with a splatter guard! It was rather challenging.

In the end, I had a great dish to put on the table and my family loved the fritters, but this kind of cooking certainly isn't for amateurs! Do you have any suggestions as to how to avoid this splattering problem?

By the way, I didn't whisk the egg whites into peaks. I just used whole eggs plus egg whites and mixed them in. And I used raw corn and cooked shrimp too. ohterwise, I followed your recipe.

Thanks for any suggestions you or anyone else might make.

Elaine
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Great taste but cooking them was rather hazardous Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:
What I mean is that when the fritters were frying in the pan some of the burning hot corn kernels popped and flew into the air.

Wow, I'm suprised the corn kernels popped while cooking. You might try again with lower heat...
a bartender

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Other ingredients that work well: Reply with quote

I worked with several Indonesian chefs once and they made these about once a week as an after-work snack. Some other things they added that made them even more delicious were:

* finely shredded carrots and zucchini
* chopped onion
* chopped shrimp
* lump crabmeat

They also served them with Chinese "ketsup" which is actually a very dark, very thick, sweet soy sauce. You can find it in most Asian groceries or markets. Man, I'm going to go heat up my fryer for these right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: